dropdown list RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is it possible to create the following function in Expression Web:

1st dropdown list - select cuisine  (it will give restaurant selection)

2nd dropdown list - chose by location (from the list of restaurants from 1st dropdown)

I also would like to add pictures of each restaurant

etc

Is there any step by step instructions? and what extra programming and database needed for it ?

Appreciate your help!

Monday, May 21, 2012 7:16 AM

All replies

• Tutorials 4, 5 and 6 form Clark's Home Page
    Doctor site may help
    4 and 6 answer your questions re dropdown lists
    and images, 5 may be useful.

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Monday, May 21, 2012 7:39 AM
  • And, just to be clear, Ron's answer assumes that your hosting account supports asp.net.  It will work fine locally, since EW requires that you have the asp.net framework installed on your PC, and you'll be previewing through the development server, which supports it.

It will not run when you publish your site to your host unless your hosting account also supports asp.net.  Many windows based hosting accounts do; generally, Apache/Liniux based hosting accounts don't.

Monday, May 21, 2012 1:35 PM
  • Thank you very much for prompt responses!!!

The tutorials exactly what I wanted.  The thing is I will need to learn access or sql express.  Any idea where is the easiest tutorials for the above? 

Thank you again

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:19 AM
  • Depending on your budget, you will have to pay for Access, or SQLExpress can be downloaded for free.

Look at this tutorial:

http://www.homepagedoctor.com/Tutorials/CreatingMembershipWebsite.aspx

The book recommended there will walk you completely through the process of setting up a membership-based website, and in the process explain a lot about using SQLExpress. You may not need the membership aspect of it at all, but it is an excellent walk-through of setting up a database.

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET
    Arvixe -- My favored web host
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 11:55 AM
  • thank you very much for your prompt reply
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 6:33 AM
  • Again, check your hosting account, they may not support SQL Express, even if they support ASP.Net. If not you may need to use Access or opt for a more expensive full SQL Server package.

Ian Haynes

EW - V4 Add-Ins
    EW - Resources, hints and tips
    EW - Design for the Mobile Web
    expression(web.blog)

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 8:12 AM

• Cost can be pretty much a non-issue.

SQL Express: Free

VWD Express: Free

Hosting with SQLExpress, ASP.Net: $4 per month (click on the host link in my signature below)

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET
    Arvixe -- My favored web host
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 12:00 PM