How to point my Sqldatsource control to a cube file successfully ? Pls help... one final step... RRS feed

• Question

• User-775831949 posted

I have created a cube file and it is called test.cub. I tried to connect to this cube file from Excel and it is displaying desired data so this cub file is intact.

Now, I want to use it in my aspx page. I searched around and found I can use sqldatasource.
    Then I created this sqldatasource control, and then I click new connection.

In "Change Data Source" prompt, for DataSource I select <OTHER>, in Dataprovider I selected .NetFramework Provider for OLE DB (I googled and they also said this one would work). Click ok, then I am taken to "Add Connection" prompt.

I then Select Microsoft OLE DB Provider for OLAP Services. Then type my file name and path, I click Test Connection, it is ok.

I save connection name as OKCubeConnect. Click Next.

Now I am in Config Data Source panel.

I chose specify columns from table or view. Then I can see all fields of the cube file in the box so everything seems good up till now.
    I then check the box [*] I now can see SQL being "Select * from [OCWCube]

In Add Connection prompt there is an "Advance" button. I click that and change provider from MSOLAP1 to MSOLAP.

With this, in final test connection it is successful. Then I click the tag of Sqldatasource control and select Config Data Source, I can even see the fields there and then I click Test Connection. It is successul. I then add Gridview and point to this Sqldatasource. No error, good.

I then click run button to run on ASP development server, the web is displaying the desired Gridview with correct data displayed in the Grid.

However, when I deploy in production environment, I get this error:-

System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: File system error: An error occurred while opening the 'testcube.cub' local cube file.

All other aspx pages are working fine in production server except this page connecting to cube. Please help.... what can be wrong ?

Please help.... where do I need to improve to get connected the cube data onto ASP.net page ?

Thanks a lot to all....

Thursday, September 22, 2011 10:59 PM

Answers

• User-775831949 posted

Thanks

The way I created my cube file is to use Excel to get external data > Database Query > Choose Data Source >Select fields answer yes to the end > What would you like to do next - select create an OLAP cube from this query.

The table contains one name field plus USD as numeric data field and that's it.
    I can see the output in ASP development server (ie click that run button in VS2008) but not in production server....

I have given permission on file security of this cube file to NETWORK and ASP.Net but still I get that error message on production IIS...

Pls help, thanks

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 9:06 PM

All replies

• User-775831949 posted

Pls help... thanks 

Thursday, September 22, 2011 11:24 PM
  • User3866881 posted

Hello nkbeer:)

1)What kind of DataBase are you using? mdb or mdf or something else?

2) Show us your diagram relationship and your structures of your tables, please

Saturday, September 24, 2011 9:06 PM
  • User-775831949 posted

Thanks

The way I created my cube file is to use Excel to get external data > Database Query > Choose Data Source >Select fields answer yes to the end > What would you like to do next - select create an OLAP cube from this query.

The table contains one name field plus USD as numeric data field and that's it.
    I can see the output in ASP development server (ie click that run button in VS2008) but not in production server....

I have given permission on file security of this cube file to NETWORK and ASP.Net but still I get that error message on production IIS...

Pls help, thanks

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 9:06 PM