none
SQL and SOAP adapters are deprecated in BizTalk 2010?

Question

• According to the BizTalk Server 2010 documentation, the SQL and SOAP adapters are deprecated. I just installed the BizTalk 2010 in my dev envionment and noticed that those two adapters are still available on BizTalk admin console. What does this mean? It's not recommended to use these adapters, but I can still use them?

Soon or later I need to migrate our BizTalk 2006 apps to 2010. Should I bother with changing the apps that uses the SQL adapter to use WCF adapter instead? It's been working greate with old native SQL adapter, so I don't want to change anything unless I have to.  

Monday, April 09, 2012 4:25 PM

Answers

• Hi 

Should I bother with changing the apps that uses the SQL adapter to use WCF adapter instead? --> If i am at your place then I would plan and migrate those adapters to WCF, because WCF is the thing which is going to be used widely in future. I would suggest you to refer WCF-SQL versus the Old SQL Adapter and BTS: BizTalk 2006 to BizTalk 2010 migration: All about Legacy SQL Adapter and migrating it to WCF SQL Adapter articles  to understand more about the reasons/help while upgrade. IMHO it is always beneficial to upgrade to the latest technologies if the time/cost allow.

but I can still use them? -->I guess you can use them.

HTH,
    Naushad Alam

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer
    alamnaushad.wordpress.com
    My new TechNet Wiki "BizTalk Server: Performance Tuning & Optimization"

Monday, April 09, 2012 4:50 PM
  • According to the BizTalk Server 2010 documentation, the SQL and SOAP adapters are deprecated. I just installed the BizTalk 2010 in my dev envionment and noticed that those two adapters are still available on BizTalk admin console. What does this mean? It's not recommended to use these adapters, but I can still use them?

Soon or later I need to migrate our BizTalk 2006 apps to 2010. Should I bother with changing the apps that uses the SQL adapter to use WCF adapter instead? It's been working greate with old native SQL adapter, so I don't want to change anything unless I have to.  

Depricated doesn't mean non-avaibility it means that though you are able to use these adapters in current version of BizTalk but in future version they might get removed so as advised by Naushad too  try to upgrade your solution to use the WCF adapters as this effort will pay off in future when you will upgrade from BizTalk 2010.

Please mark the post answered your question as answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, it'll help other users who are visiting your thread for the similar problem, Regards -Rohit Sharma (http://rohitt-sharma.blogspot.com/)

Monday, April 09, 2012 5:58 PM

All replies

• Hi 

Should I bother with changing the apps that uses the SQL adapter to use WCF adapter instead? --> If i am at your place then I would plan and migrate those adapters to WCF, because WCF is the thing which is going to be used widely in future. I would suggest you to refer WCF-SQL versus the Old SQL Adapter and BTS: BizTalk 2006 to BizTalk 2010 migration: All about Legacy SQL Adapter and migrating it to WCF SQL Adapter articles  to understand more about the reasons/help while upgrade. IMHO it is always beneficial to upgrade to the latest technologies if the time/cost allow.

but I can still use them? -->I guess you can use them.

HTH,
    Naushad Alam

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer
    alamnaushad.wordpress.com
    My new TechNet Wiki "BizTalk Server: Performance Tuning & Optimization"

Monday, April 09, 2012 4:50 PM

Depricated doesn't mean non-avaibility it means that though you are able to use these adapters in current version of BizTalk but in future version they might get removed so as advised by Naushad too  try to upgrade your solution to use the WCF adapters as this effort will pay off in future when you will upgrade from BizTalk 2010.

Please mark the post answered your question as answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, it'll help other users who are visiting your thread for the similar problem, Regards -Rohit Sharma (http://rohitt-sharma.blogspot.com/)

Monday, April 09, 2012 5:58 PM