can i install antivirus on windows developer preview?

Question

• any body reply me ..can i install avast antivirus on windows developer preview.

Saturday, October 8, 2011 9:30 AM

Answers

• Windows Developer Preview is pre-Beta version and sometimes there might be some issue and sometimes not. You could try it out and see how it will goes and if there was any error please post here. If you want to install any Anti-Virus, install for Windows 7 version since Windows 8 version is not avaliable.

Another thing is that in Windows Developer Preview , you don't need Anti-Virus because you already have Windows Defender there that is act as Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware (While in Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP , Windows Defender is Anti-Spyware only). If you open control panel and check Action Center , then you will see under security Windows Defender is Anti-Spyware and Anti-Virus.

Install Avast and test it is a good idea if you want to do testing , but if you are looking for Anti-Virus to protect Windows Developer Preview , you don't need any additional protection, and just you have to make sure Windows is getting update regularly.

Saturday, October 8, 2011 9:48 AM

All replies

• Windows Developer Preview is pre-Beta version and sometimes there might be some issue and sometimes not. You could try it out and see how it will goes and if there was any error please post here. If you want to install any Anti-Virus, install for Windows 7 version since Windows 8 version is not avaliable.

Another thing is that in Windows Developer Preview , you don't need Anti-Virus because you already have Windows Defender there that is act as Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware (While in Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP , Windows Defender is Anti-Spyware only). If you open control panel and check Action Center , then you will see under security Windows Defender is Anti-Spyware and Anti-Virus.

Install Avast and test it is a good idea if you want to do testing , but if you are looking for Anti-Virus to protect Windows Developer Preview , you don't need any additional protection, and just you have to make sure Windows is getting update regularly.

Saturday, October 8, 2011 9:48 AM
  • thanking u......
    Saturday, October 8, 2011 11:01 AM
  • Welcome :)
    Sunday, October 9, 2011 11:06 AM
  • Hello,
    I found a problem installing avast free,

Windows startup, avast needs files that do not have that version.

My luck was that I had set a restore point, just days before my colleague had the same problem and could not recover the windows!

Monday, October 24, 2011 2:53 AM
  • Since it is pre-Beta, it expected that Anti-Virus would face compatiblity issue and thats why Windows 8 comes with pre-install Anti-Virus in this release.

In that case of problem, your friend could try run in safemode or sofemode with command prompt and type:

sfc /scannow

Or reinstall Windows 8 from DVD, it is better to open new question and discuss this there, if problem did not solved.

Monday, October 24, 2011 11:02 AM