none
Graphical indicator of another tasks finish date on gantt chart? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to use a custom field to put a graphical indicator of one tasks due date on another tasks bar. I do not want to link these tasks as they are not totally dependent but it would be handy to be able to see when the other task is going to finish while this one is in progress. How can I get the formula to grab a different task's due date?

Thanks!

Thursday, July 7, 2016 12:00 AM

All replies

• RSKlein8877,

Unfortunately you can't, at least not with a formula in a custom field. Custom field formulas can only operate on data for that task line, or in a few cases with general project data such as "hours per day". You can however do what you want with VBA except I don't quite understand what you mean by putting a graphical indicator on a task bar. Graphical indicators show up in fields but will not appear with a Gantt Bar.

John

Thursday, July 7, 2016 2:05 AM
  • Hi RSLliein8877,

If I understand your requirement, you can achieve that by copying the source task date (say deadline) and pasting it using the Paste Special -> Paste Link option into the destination date field (say Date 7). you can now observe that changes to the source task deadline are reflected in the destination task's Date7 field.

Hope this helps you or anyone else :-)

Roy

Royg

Thursday, July 7, 2016 1:32 PM
  • Hi RSKlein8877,

I use this quite a lot in my Gantt Chart for different purposes.

Eg.: Displaying constraint Dates

As mentioned in other Posts you will Need to use a VBA Script or copy the Dates manually. Here is how I do it:

Add a date to field Start1, then add this Bar Style:

The result should look like this:

Regards

Boris

Monday, July 11, 2016 7:37 AM