none
Transfer Domain Registration to Azure

Question

• I recently created and registered a new domain on Azure for a site that I am hosting on that platform.

I also have several other domains that are registered with 3 additional domain registrars .. GoDaddy, DirectNIC, and eNom and want to consolodate all of those registrations under a single registrar.

Since I will be hosting them on Azure I want to find out how to change the administration of those registrations to Microsoft.

Thanks,

Steve

Monday, June 13, 2016 4:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Steve,

Thank you for contacting us!

When you have application running in Windows Azure and you want to access your application with real domain name i.e. yoururl.com you actually don't transfer your domain. Your domain stick with the same domain registrar whoever it is (in this case 1&1) however you just use DNS or CNAME setup in Windows Azure application so your domain name point to actual application running on Windows Azure.

As far as I know if you are just setting your domain name via DNS/CNAME, pointing to Windows Azure application, there is no changed to your domain and it will intact with your domain registrar and will not impact anything else.

See the details on configuring custom domain in Azure App Service 

FYI: We don't support management of non-portal created (i.e. external) domains.

Also see this link - https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/web-sites-custom-domain-name/

Hope that helps!

Best Regards

Sadiqh Ahmed
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If this post was helpful to you, please upvote it and/or mark it as an answer so others can more easily find it in the future.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 4:41 AM
  • @Sadiqh, This is a old topic but we are having issues with SSL. We have SSL on 1&1 domain, but we use azure application (which is also SSL enabled). But looks like both the SSL do not talk. Do you have a recommendation on this?

Thanks

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 7:07 PM
  • @Somar B, When you say, there is an issue with both the SSL on 1 & domain and they do not talk. Do you see any specific error message? What are you trying to accomplish? Are you referring to any Microsoft Azure document?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you and vote it as helpful, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Sunday, November 19, 2017 11:03 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Thank you for contacting us!

When you have application running in Windows Azure and you want to access your application with real domain name i.e. yoururl.com you actually don't transfer your domain. Your domain stick with the same domain registrar whoever it is (in this case 1&1) however you just use DNS or CNAME setup in Windows Azure application so your domain name point to actual application running on Windows Azure.

As far as I know if you are just setting your domain name via DNS/CNAME, pointing to Windows Azure application, there is no changed to your domain and it will intact with your domain registrar and will not impact anything else.

See the details on configuring custom domain in Azure App Service 

FYI: We don't support management of non-portal created (i.e. external) domains.

Also see this link - https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/web-sites-custom-domain-name/

Hope that helps!

Best Regards

Sadiqh Ahmed
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If this post was helpful to you, please upvote it and/or mark it as an answer so others can more easily find it in the future.

Actually, Is this being true? Are there any way to transfer a domain into azure?

Thank you in advance,

Eduard.

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 9:06 AM
  • Hello Eduard,

Scope: ONLY support Domain transfer for .com, org,.net  

It is now possible to use PowerShell to transfer a domain purchased outside of Azure to Azure. Here's the PowerShell script:

$ResourceLocation = "Global"
    $ResourceName = "<domain>" #user's domain (constoso.com)
    $PropertiesObject = @{
        'Consent' = @{
            'AgreementKeys' = @("DNPA","DNTA");
            'AgreedBy' = '<ip_address>'; #user's IP address (192.168.1.1)
            'AgreedAt' = '<time>'; #roughly the current time (2017-13-05T12:25:30.6850404Z)
        };
        'authCode' = '<auth_code>'; #code obtained from their current provider in order to transfer out the domain
        'Privacy' = 'true';
        'autoRenew' = 'true';
    }

New-AzureRmResource -ResourceName $ResourceName -Location $ResourceLocation -PropertyObject $PropertiesObject -ResourceGroupName mnresourcegroup -ResourceType Microsoft.DomainRegistration/domains -ApiVersion 2015-02-01 -Verbose 

Note: It should be noted that domains cannot be transferred within 60 days of purchase and that a domain transfer can take 7-10 business days.

Best Regards,

Omar JG

Thursday, March 15, 2018 7:01 PM
  • hi,

attempting to run this and i have hit a few different errors:

1) domain is null or empty

2) cannot find operation with name 657df990-73e8-4a2c-ae84-e28209fa7d20

3) domain XXXX isn't available for transfer

having tried a couple of slightly different powershell scripts i am now stuck on the 3rd error.

i have obtained an auth code and set my domain to unlocked.

trying to transfer from domain monster to azure.

any ideas?

thanks

Thursday, November 1, 2018 11:15 PM
  • @Sadiqh -

Are you saying, if I have an existing Domain Name registered somewhere else and I have moved the site to an Azure App Service there is no way to move the existing domain registration from the current vendor to Azure Custom Domains, and that only NEW Domain names can be added to Custom Domains.   I have several registered Domain Names and am moving my site to Azure App Service and would like to move the registration too.

Regarding : FYI: We don't support management of non-portal created (i.e. external) domains.

Saturday, December 1, 2018 10:43 PM
  • Hi,

I believe that I can confirm this.

I have had an azure support ticket open for a month and they have been unable to find a resolution.

My domain then expired so I decided to transfer to an alternative registrar without issue.

In 60 days (as my domain is a .com) my ticket will be reopened and I will re-attempt to transfer to azure.

I do not have much confidence that this will be successful then either.

Azure support have confirmed that domain transfer is not currently supported but will be in the future.

Saturday, December 1, 2018 10:54 PM
  • I tried Azure a couple of years ago and I was dissuaded because you couldn't transfer existing domain registrations in. I have had Arvixe, GoDaddy, and several bargain basement providers and they all handle domain registrations transfers. For Azure to not support it is crazy.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 12:26 AM
  • Having waited over 60 days in order for my domain to become transferrable again,

I can confirm that it still appears to untransferrable to azure according to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/appservice/domains/checkavailability

This page appears to test an API which executes the standard powershell script under the hood.

I'll continue to try every so often in the future, but if anyone else manages to achieve this please update this thread.

Thanks

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 7:19 AM