none
Access 2013 web apps - practical concurrency limitations RRS feed

• Question

• We have a question regarding access 2013 web apps in Sharepoint / Office365.  How well does an access 2013 web app handle concurrency?  I understand that you are limited by the number of users within sharepoint or office365.  At what point does the number of concurrent users begin to slow the database down too much.  Research from other websites regarding this information seems to be contradictory (one site said more than 10 users, another said several hundred).  Thanks......
    Friday, February 7, 2014 3:38 PM

All replies

• Let me rephrase the question - I know the access 2013 web apps are backed by sql azure and I know sql azure is excellent at handling concurrency, multi-tenancy, etc.  But because access 2013 web apps are a heavily subclassed form of sql azure and office365/sharepoint handles user sign-ins and authentications, how does this influence the database's capacity to handle concurrent users?  I know variables (specifically setvar) are persisted only for each user instance, which indicates the structure is there to handle multiple users at the same time.  Please advise......
    Saturday, February 8, 2014 2:35 PM
  • Concurrency is not in my top-10 issues to worry about when writing an A2013 webapp, maybe not in the top-100. My gut feeling is that an A2013 app can be used by many thousands of users concurrently. If that is your usage scenario that's great! MSFT is always looking for success stories :-)

Your "heavily subclassed form of sql azure" impression is incorrect: A2013 runs on vanilla sql azure. Using SSMS you can inspect the database for yourself. No secrets there.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Sunday, February 9, 2014 4:11 AM
  • In the interest of anyone else who comes to this thread hoping for some insight, there's some excellent replies to this same question posted here:

http://www.utteraccess.com/forum/Access-2013-Web-App-Concu-t2014681.html

Cheers,

Jack D. Leach (Access MVP)
    Dymeng Services (home | blog)
    UtterAccess Wiki (hundreds of articles and functions)

Sunday, February 9, 2014 4:56 AM
  • Hi, 

Really interesting. Thanks.

Sergiy Vakshul

Sunday, February 9, 2014 10:07 AM