Mobile Application Authentication using SODA RRS feed

• Question

• Hi  ,

I am planning to develop a mobile native application ( non browser ) interface for Microsoft Health Vault . I am planning to implement this by consuming the xml apis as it is platform indepedent .

How can i do the authentication part , i heard about SODA , is it work with XML apis as well and what about the release status of SODA is it availble with the current release .

thanks

~R

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 6:53 PM

Answers

• Yes, you will be able to use the XML APIs directly with SODA. Since you are developing for a mobile platform, you will not be using Microsoft's HealthVault .NET APIs. However, you can look at the latest SDK to determine how SODA works (until the documentation is available). Look at the HealthClientApplication class - it provides the methods necessary to create a new SODA application and authenticate it. When you configure your application in the PPE environment, be sure to mark it as a SODA application.

What mobile platform are you developing for? SODA requires that the client create a self signed certificate. Depending on your mobile platform, you may not find the correct APIs available to do so. 

Do you already have your own libraries to complete the CreateAuthenticatedSessionToken call against the XML API? You will need to call this method to authenticate the SODA app - so you should make sure your mobile platform supports the necessary cryptographic functions.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:30 PM
  • SODA is part of the new release, but documentation is still being written and is currently unavailable.  You can poke around and try to develop with it now, but documentation and answers will be hard to find unless you figure it out on your own for now.

Also, in order to go live with SODA you will need to use a HealthVault redistributable, and that is currently not yet available.  We're working on that as well.

Both the docs and the redistributable should be available before too long, and at that point partners can start developing SODA apps and taking them live.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 11:23 PM

All replies

• SODA is part of the new release, but documentation is still being written and is currently unavailable.  You can poke around and try to develop with it now, but documentation and answers will be hard to find unless you figure it out on your own for now.

Also, in order to go live with SODA you will need to use a HealthVault redistributable, and that is currently not yet available.  We're working on that as well.

Both the docs and the redistributable should be available before too long, and at that point partners can start developing SODA apps and taking them live.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 11:23 PM
  • Hi

Thanks a lot of your response , could you please confirm  i can use SODA with XML-Apis once it is released

thanks
    ~R
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:24 AM
  • Yes, you will be able to use the XML APIs directly with SODA. Since you are developing for a mobile platform, you will not be using Microsoft's HealthVault .NET APIs. However, you can look at the latest SDK to determine how SODA works (until the documentation is available). Look at the HealthClientApplication class - it provides the methods necessary to create a new SODA application and authenticate it. When you configure your application in the PPE environment, be sure to mark it as a SODA application.

What mobile platform are you developing for? SODA requires that the client create a self signed certificate. Depending on your mobile platform, you may not find the correct APIs available to do so. 

Do you already have your own libraries to complete the CreateAuthenticatedSessionToken call against the XML API? You will need to call this method to authenticate the SODA app - so you should make sure your mobile platform supports the necessary cryptographic functions.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:30 PM
  • Also-- a general note for folks reading this thread: all functionality available via the .NET SDK is available via the XML APIs.  Often the .NET SDK provides an easier to use object model that wraps together the XML APIs in very convenient ways, but under the surface everything the .NET SDK provides is done via underlying XML API calls.  The XML APIs are the only interface to HealthVault; the .NET SDK uses the same underlying XML API calls everyone else has access to.  It's just that the .NET SDK is typically significantly less work to develop with than the XML APIs directly.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:41 PM
  • Hi All,

I'm trying to use XML API calls in my mobile application. I know we can use SODA to get authentication. But can some body provide the equivalent java code to create a new SODA application and authenticate.

Thanks.
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 3:51 PM
  • HI!

We're thinking about implementing the security layer under Java to enable HealthVault applications for iphone and Android using our CyaSSL embedded ssl.  This means we'll support the proper certificate generation for HealthVault applications that want to allow their users to securely access HealthVault information from iphone and Android devices.  As such, we're interested in finding HealthVault application providers interested in iphone or Android.  Are you interested in device based HealthVault?  If yes, then please contact us at info@yassl.com.

Thanks!

Further background:  CyaSSL is an embedded ssl implementation that provides security on Android, iphone, and other devices.  See www.yassl.com for further details.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 8:46 PM
  • Stefonic-- if you haven't already contacted the HealthVault Business Development team, I strongly encourage you to do so.  They may be able to help connect you to other partners, and will likely have a better understanding of who to connect with.  Traffic on the forums here may not reach the audience you're looking to find, and our BD team can help.

You can reach them at hvbd@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 3:54 AM