The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

WP7 Apps and Phonegap RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've got a WP7 app that I'd like to make available in android and iOS.  What are the steps for doing this?  Is PhoneGap just a wrapper, that we place a W7 app into, more of an (old) "COM wrapper" that we then must program to access the WP7 app?

I've looked at the documentation on adobe.com but it seems very high-level about creating Phonegap apps.  I'd heard that once you create an app (in WP7, Android, iOS) you just add in a phonegap dll and it'll work in the other environments.  Is it more correct to say that once you have a native app, you have to recreate it in each of the other native environments with each environment's phonegap-specific dll for that environment?  and in addition, have to program the phonegap wrapper to talk to your app?

Just trying to get started down the right path.

I started looking into making my WP7 app availble in android via PhoneGap with these resources.  However,  I'm interested in finding a set of steps that will take me from WP7 app to WP7 app running in Phonegap on Android (and/or iOS). All I appear to have at the moment is "here's PhoneGap". the link below is great for setting up Phonegap for Android on Eclipse, but where programmatically and architecturally, are the steps for making the WP7 app fit in?

Adobe links:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/html5/articles/getting-started-with-phonegap-in-eclipse-for-android.html#articlecontentAdobe_numberedheader_4

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Sunday, October 14, 2012 4:47 PM

Answers

• It doesn't work like that. Phonegap allows you to create a app using html, JavaScript and some "extra" functionality, like the compass, camera. It doesn't "host" a regular app, it is much more like mini webserver and browser and a wrapper that enabled native function in JavaScript.

Visit my blog Coding Adventures to read the most annoying coding troubles and there solutions

• Marked as answer by PaulHomeMsdn Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:03 AM
    Sunday, October 14, 2012 7:20 PM
  • If you use PhoneGap, you will be recreating your app in JavaScript.

You could look at Xamarin's MonoTouch and Mono for Android.  These are C# development environments for iOS and Android respectively.  If you separate your logic from your UI code, you can re-use most of the logic code directly.  Here is a seminar they presented on cross-platform development.

Cross-platform Mobile Development Seminar (demonstrating approaches to developing apps for iOS, Android and Windows Phone 7)

Monday, October 15, 2012 1:10 PM

All replies

• It doesn't work like that. Phonegap allows you to create a app using html, JavaScript and some "extra" functionality, like the compass, camera. It doesn't "host" a regular app, it is much more like mini webserver and browser and a wrapper that enabled native function in JavaScript.

Visit my blog Coding Adventures to read the most annoying coding troubles and there solutions

• Marked as answer by PaulHomeMsdn Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:03 AM
    Sunday, October 14, 2012 7:20 PM
  • If you use PhoneGap, you will be recreating your app in JavaScript.

You could look at Xamarin's MonoTouch and Mono for Android.  These are C# development environments for iOS and Android respectively.  If you separate your logic from your UI code, you can re-use most of the logic code directly.  Here is a seminar they presented on cross-platform development.

Cross-platform Mobile Development Seminar (demonstrating approaches to developing apps for iOS, Android and Windows Phone 7)

Monday, October 15, 2012 1:10 PM
  • Thanks,

That's what my research is showing as well. I appreciate the comment.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:03 AM
  • Thanks for the advice Steve,  I'll look into this.  I tried Xamarin a while ago before going down the native path for my first WP7 app.  Time to give it another try.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:04 AM