none
PLEASE READ: Problem with ADO & VACHAR in windows 10 Update 1809 and Server 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• I am having problems when I use Ole DB Provider: MSDataShape, when the SHAPE APPED command has a column declared as NEW adVarchar (50) ColumnName. When opening the dataset, you get an error saying that the column can not have zero length. This started after the 1809 update of windows 10. To resolve I removed this update, returning to 1803.

I found other developers with the same problem. Please see an example that simulates the problem in:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-Server-Insiders/ADO-amp-VARCHAR/m-p/266969#M777

I do not know how we can do to get microsoft's attention to this problem, if you reading this you know how to do this, please help me. We are beginning to face many problems with customers who are updating windows and our products stop working, the disruptions in our organization are being huge.

Friday, October 5, 2018 12:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Giorgio H. Bazzo,

Thanks for post the issue on here. 

And I have reported the issue to Microsoft. Maybe it will be resolve in next upgrade, I would suggest that you could removed the update, back to 1803 after the issue is resolved. 

Best regards,

Zhanglong

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 8, 2018 5:34 AM
  • Hi Zhanglong,

I reported this to a representative a while back, and also on the Feedback Hub for the Windows 10 update but have yet heard nothing back. Can you find out the state of play on this? There are a number of users that are affected by this bug, and the Hotfix released on the 9th does not resolve this issue still.

From the release notes of the update, I cannot see how this has been affected by any of the mentioned changes either which is strange...

Thanks,

Hemesh

Thursday, October 11, 2018 8:37 AM
  • Hi Zhanglong & Hemesh -

thank you for your efforts and reporting it to Microsoft. 

Has anyone received any acknowledgement from Microsoft e.g. along the lines of "known bug #.. and will be fixed in release NN.. or with hotfix XXX)?  Or even "we are looking into it?".

Note that my original posting (referenced above) includes sample code that illustrates the problem, so it is not a big deal to see the issue in action.

Thursday, October 11, 2018 8:13 PM
  • Not that I have had yet, I did a sample bit of code to replicate it to (that I did in excel)

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52650021/msdatashape-error-broken-on-upgrade-to-windows-10-feature-update-1809

Friday, October 12, 2018 7:36 AM

• Aha - found other postings with the same issue, and someone posted a workaround (which seems to be working for us). I think it still a bug and a serious regression, but at least we can move forward (we happen to be at a point in the product cycle where we can put in a change like this)

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52650021/msdatashape-error-broken-on-upgrade-to-windows-10-feature-update-1809

* workaround for this issue ... Replacing adVarChar(##) with adLongVarChar does the job for me ...

This workaround is not applicable to queries like

SHAPE APPEND NEW adLongVarChar As INVNO, NEW adLongVarChar As iCP,
    ((SHAPE APPEND NEW aadLongVarChar As INVNO,NEW adLongVarCharAs iCP,NEW adLongVarChar As F1,NEW adLongVarChar As F2,NEW adLongVarChar As F3)
    AS Trans RELATE INVNO TO INVNO,iCP TO iCP)

* someone else suggested using  adLongVarWChar

* there was also mention of a future deprecation of the Data Shaping Service for OLE DB 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ado/guide/appendixes/microsoft-data-shaping-service-for-ole-db-ado-service-provider

Saturday, October 13, 2018 4:16 AM
  • I'd like to let you know that we, Microsoft, have identified the cause of this regression. It's now well-understood, and we are investigating the best means to release a fix for it. I'm not in a position to know yet how long before we release this fix.

Although I'm not at liberty to discuss all the details of the regression, as it also relates to changes made to improve security, I can tell you that it relates to parsing the command string to ascertain the width of the column. The portion of the string containing the column width was not properly parsed, and a value of 0 was used, leading to the error.

We regret the inconvenience this has caused. The MSDataShape provider is still deprecated, and we still encourage you to modify your code to use something else, such as XML.

Scot Br, Sr. EE, Microsoft Dev Support.

Developer Support Engineer

Friday, February 8, 2019 4:24 AM
  • Any news about this fix? 
    Friday, February 22, 2019 3:24 PM
  • We have a fix completed, unit tested, and tentatively approved. However, because it is a component that affects a large part of the Windows OS, it must be extensively tested and vetted.

It's likely to be part of the next major Windows release, and we're also looking for confirmation to back-port the fix to 1809 (RS5).

I understand your desire for the fix to be released sooner, but it would be extremely risky to do so without a lot more regression testing.

Scot

Saturday, February 23, 2019 12:04 AM
  • Microsoft, have identified the cause of this regression
    Saturday, February 23, 2019 1:05 AM
  • Scot,

As the name of this thread suggests, the same issue is present in Windows Server 2019.

When discussing the back-port to 1809, could you please include Server 2019 in the discussion as well?

Wednesday, February 27, 2019 5:52 PM
  • Absolutely. I believe it is already part of the plan to put the fix into Server 2019, but I will ask, just to confirm it. I have confirmed that it is already in the branch for the "19H1" release of Windows 10. I expect we'll get a patch for 1809, and I will confirm that it's also going into 2019.

Scot

Wednesday, February 27, 2019 7:53 PM
  • Hi, 

I was wondering if you had any update to when the fix will be released in 1809?  

we are having this issue with an avaya reporting application

https://downloads.avaya.com/css/P8/documents/101055242 

many thanks

Justin

Friday, March 22, 2019 3:34 PM
  • Yes, I have an update. Our current plan is to have the fix in our release of the third week of April, roughly three and a half weeks from now. The fix will actually be in the MSVCRT.DLL, even though the change that caused the break was in the MSDataShape Provider (MSADDS).

Scot

Friday, March 22, 2019 3:55 PM
  • Yes, I have an update. Our current plan is to have the fix in our release of the third week of April, roughly three and a half weeks from now. The fix will actually be in the MSVCRT.DLL, even though the change that caused the break was in the MSDataShape Provider (MSADDS).

Scot

Hello, would be possible to provide any news on this update? As we are already past the third week of April.

Monday, April 22, 2019 8:12 PM
  • Yes. The fix for this issue is in our "4C" update, with the "C" denoting "third week".  The original plan was for the fix to be released last Tuesday, the 16th. Delays related to some important updates pushed this back a week, and we had expected to have the release go out tomorrow. Unfortunately, I just learned today that we must delay for another 2 days, at least, because of some other quality problems found with the update.

Our current expectation is to release this Thursday, the 25th. However, life being what it is, it's possible that another delay could happen. But Thursday is our current expectation.

Scot

Monday, April 22, 2019 8:19 PM
  • That was a very quick reply. Thank you very much.

• Edited by atacmeta Monday, April 22, 2019 8:24 PM
    Monday, April 22, 2019 8:21 PM
  • Any update on this? Will there be a fix today? What format will that take? How do customers get the fix?
    Thursday, April 25, 2019 4:12 PM
  • I have not been informed of any further delays. I'm expecting it be released this afternoon.  But I'm not on the front lines with the Windows Updates group (I'm in developer support). So it's always possible there's a last-minute delay I don't know about.

Use Windows/Microsoft Update to check for the latest updates to Windows.

Scot

Thursday, April 25, 2019 4:20 PM
  • Hello Scot

Do know what the kb# or name will be for this update? I would like to install it on a standalone machine for testing before i deploy it across the domain. 

Thank you

Scott Middleton

Thursday, April 25, 2019 7:32 PM
  • I believe the assigned KB number is 4495667. It doesn't appear to have been released yet.

Scot

Thursday, April 25, 2019 7:40 PM
  • Hi Scot,

Any ETA on KB4495667 release?

Thanks

Monday, April 29, 2019 4:44 PM
  • I would also like to know.
    Monday, April 29, 2019 4:49 PM
  • It appears that although they managed to get many of the "4C" releases out the door by the 25th (such as KB 4493440, 4493436, and many others), KB 4495667 was blocked by some other issues. A lot of tests are required to pass before we can ship the release, and some of those test failed, and we're awaiting resolution.

Since this particular bug relies on a fix to MSVCRT.dll, it's not one that could be easily isolated to a stand-alone update; the other fixes in the update bundle need to all "ship" together.

I'm sorry for the repeated delays. The currently projected date is now May 2nd for

Windows 10 1809 Cumulative Non-Security (Update) 2019.04 C

Scot

Monday, April 29, 2019 5:09 PM
  • Is this update the one that fixes this problem?

KB4501835

Thursday, May 2, 2019 12:40 PM
  • It doesn't appear to be.  I'm waiting on this fix also.
    Thursday, May 2, 2019 5:05 PM
  • I'm still researching. I'm reluctant to give information prematurely, and then have to apologize again if it turns out to be inaccurate.

Scot

Thursday, May 2, 2019 5:26 PM
  • Do you know if this will also be released for the 1809 LTSB? And a timeline? 
    Thursday, May 2, 2019 5:50 PM
  • Here's the latest word I've heard:

"RS5 4C is delayed due to some blocking issues. We believe we sorted out these and the current POR is to be live 5/3 10am PDT."

As always, unexpected things could further delay.  But at least we're hopeful of having it released tomorrow. I didn't get any answer about the specifics of LTSB, but the 1809 general fix is supposed to release tomorrow.

Scot

Thursday, May 2, 2019 10:37 PM
  • Yes, the Long-Term Servicing Channel (LTSC, the new name for what used to be "LTSB") will be updated with the RS5 1809 release that we still expect tomorrow.

Scot

Thursday, May 2, 2019 11:46 PM
  • Just tested KB4495667.

Everything worked, order by and filter with AdVarchar.

This saved me a lot of trouble. Great!

• Edited by atacmeta Monday, May 6, 2019 2:12 PM
    Monday, May 6, 2019 2:11 PM
  • also tested KB4495667. Had to manually apply on LTSC. Avaya web displays now work!
    Tuesday, May 7, 2019 12:24 PM