none
Appropriate file system for enabling concurrent access on file system for multiple servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am searching for an appropriate file system to enable concurrent access on files from multiple servers. Filestore is on an iSCSI SAN. Use case is SQL server backup. One to three servers write the backup, a central backup server reads it...writes it to tape and deletes it afterwards. I tried to use NFS and switch the drives offline and online but forum entries like this one  suggest that this is a very bad idea. And I have run into corruption issues already :-(. 

Platform is Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008R2 Standard. Thus I seem not to be able to use cluster shared volumes (CSV). I tried to read more about VMFS (one machine is a VMWare host) but is seems to be configured to work within virtual machines only not between one VM and one to many non-virtual physical servers.

Any advice where to start/how to pursue is greatly appreciated.

By the way: Writing backups using an NFS share on the central backup server of course was the premium option to go. Analysis showed however that this only delivers half of the performance achieved compared to connecting the drive directly to the server (see this forum post).

Cheers

Martin

Monday, June 20, 2016 1:52 PM

All replies

• You need to Cluster your servers.

The 'appropriate' file system is CFS - "Cluster File Services"

Only then is the locking at the file level and not the volume level.

You already have the answer, so I guess that I am confused at you what your real issue is.

If you want a shared network target - you need to front it with a network share (NFS, SMB) otherwise it can only be a shared cluster volume.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 3:48 PM