How to make a line appear rounded RRS feed

• Question

• I have to draw lines and polylines and I wanted to give them a bit of a 3D look.  How can I give them a rounded look something like looking at the top of a tube?

Thanks.
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 4:04 AM

Answers

• I guess there are a number of ways to do this.

Here is a quick and easy method:

1. Draw a line and in the properties panel open up the appearance panel (small arrow at the bottom with the tool tip show advanced properites).
    2. On the drop down for caps choose Round Cap
    3. With the line selected apply a bevel from the effects menu
    4. Increase the bevel width and change the profile to 'curve out'.

play around with the bevel settings until you are happy with the result.

With your line in place then draw as many polylines or other shapes as you want then use the attribute dropper (shift + I) to drag from your line (the one you made first) onto the polylines etc. In effect you have created the first line as a template and by doing this you will increase/improve your workflow.

I am sure that others will have different methods that do not include effects and instead use other vector shapes as shading to give the illusion of 3D. Depends if you want a vector or bitmap output.
    steve
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 6:29 AM

All replies

• I guess there are a number of ways to do this.

Here is a quick and easy method:

1. Draw a line and in the properties panel open up the appearance panel (small arrow at the bottom with the tool tip show advanced properites).
    2. On the drop down for caps choose Round Cap
    3. With the line selected apply a bevel from the effects menu
    4. Increase the bevel width and change the profile to 'curve out'.

play around with the bevel settings until you are happy with the result.

With your line in place then draw as many polylines or other shapes as you want then use the attribute dropper (shift + I) to drag from your line (the one you made first) onto the polylines etc. In effect you have created the first line as a template and by doing this you will increase/improve your workflow.

I am sure that others will have different methods that do not include effects and instead use other vector shapes as shading to give the illusion of 3D. Depends if you want a vector or bitmap output.
    steve
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 6:29 AM
  • If it's just simply a line, you can set the type of cap you want the line to have. Click the Show Advanced Properties drop-down and next to Stroke, Caps, select Round Cap.

Will
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 7:31 PM

•  http://designbybill.com/

here some good tutorials
    I didn t try them in the newer version of design so maybe not everything is correct

it seems these tutorials are no longer available
    • Edited by germaine1 Friday, October 9, 2009 8:54 AM
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 8:27 AM
  • Thanks that's a cool site.  i havent tried it yet, but it looks like it might work.
    Friday, May 2, 2008 8:38 AM
  •  http://www.studioe3.com/Tutorials/index.asp

here some other tutuorials on Annie s website and done by Deebs
    they are very good
    I think they must work in de newer version of design also
    Friday, May 2, 2008 2:20 PM