none
Combo field RRS feed

• Question

• HI

I made a Combo field using Wizard Tools to call more than one element from another table but the problem is I cant Type to search for the Elements I have to scroll down and search for the wanted one or more in more than 300 Elements?

Is there any way to solve this issue? Or should I only use List field which enter Only one Value?

I am using Microsoft Access 2016.  

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 3:29 PM

Answers

• No problem HazemQ,

If you go to https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vba/access-vba/articles/combobox-object-access then you kan select a Property and you can get more information about that property. Click the entry ComboBox Object to open the list.

Thursday, June 14, 2018 12:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm not sure I understand what you did or what happened when you did it. Can you please post some screen shots or tell us what is in the following properties of the combobox? Thanks.

Row Source

Row Source Type

Bound Column

Column Count

Column Widths

Enabled

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 3:45 PM
  • Hi,

Set the property AutoExpand (tab Data of the property sheet) of the ComboBox to Yes. When you enter a value, the list you type is automatically expanded with the value from the source.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 11:11 PM
  • I am using a german version: Nein means no and Ja yes. Thanks in advance
    Thursday, June 14, 2018 8:27 AM
  • Do you mean this one? its already yes thanks in advance.

Thursday, June 14, 2018 8:48 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks in advance Guys I really appreciate it.

Thursday, June 14, 2018 8:49 AM
  • You are now working in the tabel design. Here is your misunderstanding: in the beginning you are talking about 'I made a Combo field', but you can't make a combo field. Combo is not a datatype. ComboBox is a type of control, just as you can have a TextBox.

Do the following: open your form in design view. Press F4 to open the Properties sheet if it is not open. Select your ComboBox. Click on tab Data on the properties sheet. Set the property AutoExpand to Yes.

I can not speak German, hardly English, so I can not explain it to you in German. (And I am working with a Dutch version)

Thursday, June 14, 2018 8:53 AM
  • Hi Peter, Thanks for the info I did like you said but after typing it only takes one value I want to add more thn one value and at the same time I can type it in box in order to find the values easly. Thanks for your Help.
    Thursday, June 14, 2018 10:01 AM
  • If you mean to add more than one value in the field on your form, this is impossible, because a control is bound to just one field. For each field you like te add a value you need to create a ComboBox just as you do with any other field.

If you need more values in the ComboBox itself, you need to study the posibilities ot the control ot the type ComboBox. I advise you to first study the basic techniques. Take for example a look at the properties that dbGuy advised you.

Thursday, June 14, 2018 10:12 AM
  • Thanks for your help I'll do.
    Thursday, June 14, 2018 10:21 AM
  • Hi,

I'm not sure I understand what you did or what happened when you did it. Can you please post some screen shots or tell us what is in the following properties of the combobox? Thanks.

Row Source

Row Source Type

Bound Column

Column Count

Column Widths

Enabled

Combination field

Row Source Type : table/Query

Row Source : SELECT [SamplesT].[BatteryName], [SamplesT].[BatteryName] FROM SamplesT ORDER BY [BatteryName];

Column Count : 2

Column Widths : 0cm;2,544cm

Enabled : Yes

Locked : No

Thursday, June 14, 2018 10:43 AM
  • Dear HazemQ,

With 'to study the posibilities of the control ComboBox' I mean to study the basics at the source information Microsoft provides you. 

You can go to this page to access all the objects, properties, events and methodes.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/VBA/Access-VBA/articles/object-model-access-vba-reference?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

For specifiek the ComboBox:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vba/access-vba/articles/combobox-object-access

To build something, you have the know about the objects, properties, events and methodes. Of course you can always call on other developers, but as a developer you also have a responsibility that you know the basic techniques. If not, you limit yourself and make yourself dependent on others for each step you take.

Thursday, June 14, 2018 11:19 AM
  • Dear Peter,

now I knew that this section is for developers.

Sorry first time to use online questions.

Thanks again

Thursday, June 14, 2018 11:47 AM
  • No problem HazemQ,

If you go to https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vba/access-vba/articles/combobox-object-access then you kan select a Property and you can get more information about that property. Click the entry ComboBox Object to open the list.

Thursday, June 14, 2018 12:08 PM
  • Thanks alot Peter
    Thursday, June 14, 2018 12:41 PM