none
SDK V8: bad user experience when panning outside the displayed area and then backwards. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I don't know if this issue can be resolved but maybe it is due to the way Bing Maps version 8 works:

When using for example the V8 interactive demo (http://www.bing.com/api/maps/sdk/mapcontrol/isdk#loadMapAsync+JS),

if you pan the map to a non-displayed area and then return back on the previous displayed area, the layer with the relief, the roads, the vegetation, etc. stays always displayed without delay.

But the layer with all labels for the cities and villages takes quite a long time to be displayed, degrading a lot the user experience in that matter !

For comparison, the interactive demo available for the V7 under "Create map" (https://www.bingmapsportal.com/isdk/ajaxv7) is totally smooth doing the same panning...

Please, any forseen solution to fix this inconvenience or do I have to return to the SDK V7 in order to get a better usage feeling ?

As ever, thanks in advance for your feedback,

Germain

PS: Ricky, you advised me to move from V7 to V8 recently, but now I'm really afraid about all those encountered and reported problems: in my opinion, we are doing just a frustrating quality control process by developing with this version 8 (and I know what I mean because I've spent 11 years doing that in a leading software house as Quality Manager...) 

• Edited by VEHICALL Monday, October 17, 2016 5:04 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2016 4:49 PM

Answers

• This is actually by design. By default V8 uses vector labels which means that labels are like pushpins. This allows for much better user experiences to be created as things label collision detection occurs with pushpins and map labels are hidden as needed to prevent the map from appearing cluttered. Additionally, the labels is able to be rendered above data like tile layers, polylines and polygons which has been a highly requested feature by v7 users.

V7 burnt the labels right into the map tiles, which really limited what could be done with the labels. If you want to have the labels rendered like V7, in V8, this can be done by putting the map into lite mode. Simply add "liteMode: true" as a map option when loading the map.

That said, feedback from 2 years of testing on the bing maps website has shown that users has preferred the newer experience in V8.

Overall, V8 is a far better and far more stable map control than V7 ever was. Over 60% of the problems reported for V8 were resolved with "user education", basically, there was no issue with V8. Bugs in V8 have been fixed very fast, on average within 16 business days. V7 had an average bug resolution time of 6-8 months.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

• Proposed as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Monday, October 17, 2016 5:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by VEHICALL Monday, October 17, 2016 7:10 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2016 5:33 PM
  • Thanks for pointing out that liteMode wasn't documented. Thought it was. Adding to documentation now.

As for your other issue. It likely won't be addressed in the October update, but will try and have the team get to it in November.

Monday, October 17, 2016 7:59 PM

All replies

• This is actually by design. By default V8 uses vector labels which means that labels are like pushpins. This allows for much better user experiences to be created as things label collision detection occurs with pushpins and map labels are hidden as needed to prevent the map from appearing cluttered. Additionally, the labels is able to be rendered above data like tile layers, polylines and polygons which has been a highly requested feature by v7 users.

V7 burnt the labels right into the map tiles, which really limited what could be done with the labels. If you want to have the labels rendered like V7, in V8, this can be done by putting the map into lite mode. Simply add "liteMode: true" as a map option when loading the map.

That said, feedback from 2 years of testing on the bing maps website has shown that users has preferred the newer experience in V8.

Overall, V8 is a far better and far more stable map control than V7 ever was. Over 60% of the problems reported for V8 were resolved with "user education", basically, there was no issue with V8. Bugs in V8 have been fixed very fast, on average within 16 business days. V7 had an average bug resolution time of 6-8 months.

• Proposed as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Monday, October 17, 2016 5:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by VEHICALL Monday, October 17, 2016 7:10 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2016 5:33 PM
  • Thank you Ricky for all the pertinent details and now I understand the pros and cons...

I've switched the map to liteMode:true and it works perfectly.

May I suggest to add this option in the SDK V8 online documentation too ?

For sure I need now and in the future more "user education" and it is a pleasure to receive it from an experimented and competent teacher like you ! 

Cheers,

Germain

PS: the "only opened remaining" ask/problem I still have is with the double-click not centering the map afterwards:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/aa6be57a-d24e-47e8-8436-98e0ed989394/map-autocentering-after-a-doubleclick-by-default-with-v7-but-gone-with-v8-?forum=bingmapsajax

Monday, October 17, 2016 7:09 PM
  • Thanks for pointing out that liteMode wasn't documented. Thought it was. Adding to documentation now.

As for your other issue. It likely won't be addressed in the October update, but will try and have the team get to it in November.

Monday, October 17, 2016 7:59 PM