none
MSI log files filling C drive in Windows Temp folder, 'Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2013.'

Question

• My c: drive is filling up with 'MSInnnnn.LOG' files in the Windows\Temp folder.

Each is over 3mg in size, and they are created every couple of minutes.

Near the end, the log files say:

MSI (s) (6C:6C) [11:08:55:799]: Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2013. Product Version: 12.0.21005. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Reconfiguration success or error status: 0.

I have found other instances of this, including this 'Closed' Connect entry:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/835600/visual-studio-2013-reconfiguration-via-windows-installer-fails-repeatedly-consumes-50gb-disk-space-in-msi-logs

I haven't found anything about the cause.  In my environment I can't modify the registry or routinely empty the Temp folder.

What is causing this?

How can I stop it?

OS - Window 7 Professional, fully patched

VS 2013 Professional v 12.0.40629.00 Update 5

bill

• Edited by belgie Friday, July 08, 2016 3:06 PM
    Friday, July 08, 2016 3:03 PM

Answers

• Hi belgie,

Could you tell us which MSI installer you installing causes this issue? I need to know the MSI to try reproduce this issue in my side. Thanks for your understanding.

Please try install other MSI installer to check whether they are all has the same issue when installing for Visual Studio.

If just one specific installer has this issue, I'm afraid that this issue is caused by the MSI installer itself. Please contact the MSI installer provider.

If all MSI installer has this issue, please tell us the detailed steps that you operated, I will try with the same steps in my side to confirm this issue.

In addition, as far as I know, all Visual Studio related log stored in "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp". The Windows folder should be store the Windows related logs.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, July 11, 2016 7:33 AM