connection string not familiar RRS feed

• Question

• I am beginner in C sharp. I have downloaded a project from internet its connection string is like below:-

public const string  strConn = "server=ZAMAN; uid=hmdba; pwd=123456; database=hoteldb;";

I have restored the database in sqlserver2005 with name hoteldb and change my pc name like ZAMAN.

I am working with visual studio 2008.But I still cannot establish the connection with the database.

I am not familiar with this connection string type. Because I have worked before with the connection string like below:-

Data Source = abc-PC\\SQLEXPRESS; Initial Catalog=abcdb; Integrated Security=true

Please any body help.

sayedsust
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 12:51 PM

Answers

• You've mounted the database on a local instance of SQL Server, correct?

Can you connect using the second format you show? "Data Source = abc-PC\\SQLEXPRESS; Initial Catalog=abcdb; Integrated Security=true"

The first example "public const string  strConn = "server=ZAMAN; uid=hmdba; pwd=123456; database=hoteldb;";"

looks like a connection string for a database on a remote server.

FWIW, there is a forum dedicated to data access issues for developers, here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vstsdb/threads

• Edited by pvdg42 Saturday, March 5, 2011 2:51 PM add info
    • Proposed as answer by eryang Monday, March 7, 2011 7:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by eryang Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:05 AM
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 2:48 PM

All replies

• You've mounted the database on a local instance of SQL Server, correct?

Can you connect using the second format you show? "Data Source = abc-PC\\SQLEXPRESS; Initial Catalog=abcdb; Integrated Security=true"

The first example "public const string  strConn = "server=ZAMAN; uid=hmdba; pwd=123456; database=hoteldb;";"

looks like a connection string for a database on a remote server.

FWIW, there is a forum dedicated to data access issues for developers, here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vstsdb/threads

• Edited by pvdg42 Saturday, March 5, 2011 2:51 PM add info
    • Proposed as answer by eryang Monday, March 7, 2011 7:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by eryang Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:05 AM
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 2:48 PM
  • Hi,

if you have restore the database on local system then you can use the connection string as follows

Data Source = localhost; Initial Catalog=abcdb; Integrated Security=true

If you are using sql authentication then you have to specify the user name and password in the connection string.

Thanks, Pranil Yambal | MCTS | Pranil.Yambal@hotmail.com
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 3:30 PM