none
Changing root welcome page (SharePoint 2013 on-prem) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, guys

This is regarding an on-prem installation of SharePoint 2013.

We have an intranet with a customized welcome page called default.aspx which resides in the pages library at the root.

We have now created a new welcome page to replace the old one. The new page is currently called NewHomePage.aspx and also resides in the pages library at the root.

I know that you can use the "Make homepage" button in the ribbon of a page to make it the new homepage, but we don't want the new page to be called NewHomePage.aspx. It really should be named default.asx like the old one.

Which is the best way to perform the switch to the new welcome page?

Any information on the subject would be of interest.

Thanks.

Friday, January 8, 2016 1:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Papageno,

Yes, you are right. I have tested it in my environment, it worked well. You can do it as your steps:

1. Rename default.aspx to default_old.aspx.
    2. Rename NewHomePage.aspx to default.aspx.
    3. Click the "make homepage" button on the new page.

Best Regards,

Wendy

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 11, 2016 3:31 AM

All replies

• Hi, you can try the following approach:

1. Open you site in SharePoint Designer, and go to the folder where you current home page resides, backup your default.aspx page and remove it.

2. Rename your NewHomePage.aspx to default.aspx and copy it to the required folder. Set this page as home page.

Hope it helps!

Friday, January 8, 2016 4:37 PM
  • Hi

because that page it is the homepage isn't really important the name.

The user will remember the FQDN not the entire path

YOu can do it  , not necesarry using SP Designer but also from IBrowser.

Set the new form as Home page , delete the old one - or rename it as _old, and next rename the new one with the needed name

Romeo Donca, Orange Romania (MCSE, MCITP, CCNA) Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if the post has been helpful for you.

Friday, January 8, 2016 9:55 PM
  • Hi, Helen737 and Romeo and thank you for your replies.

Firstly, we can't use SharePoint Designer, since it's against company policy.

Secondly, yes, we do need to rename the new page to default.aspx. We have over 7 000 pages and there might be references to the full url to the homepage somewhere on these pages.

But reading your responses, I take it the easiest solution would be the following approach using a web browser in the pages library:

Is this correct?

(My apologies to everyone out there thinking this is too trivial a question to be posted here, but with 10 000 users I can't really make any mistakes!)

Sunday, January 10, 2016 12:01 PM
  • Hi Papageno,

Yes, you are right. I have tested it in my environment, it worked well. You can do it as your steps:

Best Regards,

Wendy

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 11, 2016 3:31 AM
  • That's comforting to know. We'll be making the switch in a couple of weeks.

Thanks, all!

Monday, January 11, 2016 7:20 AM