none
Why I am concidering not to use VS .NET any longer ... RRS feed

• General discussion

• It had been weeks of development and sleepless nights until I finally finished my application and releasing it to the public.

It had been only a few days after that somebody just decompiled and recompiled my program and released it under his name.

How can it be that the VS Studio Editions (commecial versions) cost so much money but the protection level of the users work is so low? This is frustrating and even though I do love the development environment, I am seriously considering not to use any of the VS editions in the future!

Surely, there are compression solutions available to protect my code. But let me tell you: the free versions do not really protect after all and the commercial one's ... hmmm, buying an expensive development environment and then have to buy a 3rd party solution for another couple of hundred $$$$s just to protect my hard work - no thanks!

Sunday, May 4, 2008 2:51 AM

All replies

•  

well .NET was developed this way, to share code and what not, easier to reflect assemblies and take a look at the code. There is dotfuscator available within VS.NET Pro I believe, but that is just a standard version.

Sunday, May 4, 2008 8:42 AM
  •  ahmedilyas wrote:

well .NET was developed this way, to share code and what not, easier to reflect assemblies and take a look at the code. There is dotfuscator available within VS.NET Pro I believe, but that is just a standard version.

Hmmm,

how stupid of me to consider VS2008 being a serious and professional development environment! Your reply raises the question: "Why should someone spend money on VS if all they get out of it is 'shared' code?".

Sunday, May 4, 2008 9:47 AM
  • well, its always been like this Smile not just VS2008, its actually the .NET Framework you are referring to. I'm not sure why its like this, so cant comment on that.

Sunday, May 4, 2008 10:53 AM
  • I just wish it wouldn't be that easy to "share" your code. Makes life really more complicate if you're planning on using VS2008 for developing commercial software products and the circumstance that protection software is not only expensive but also blows up your executables and might even require special runtimes ... well, I guess you know what I am talking about?

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 2:12 PM