issues with error messages and greyed out icons RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 64-bit machine running 32-bit office and 32-bit powerpivot. On this I have a VM running 64-bit office and 64-bit Powerpivot.   I have created a large powerpivot work book on the VM which used to work just fine as did al lthe clauclation here and then could view/slice in on my main OS.

Recently when ever I open the workbook on either OS I get several "Initialization of the data source failed" messages. If I just click through them it seems fine as have bene able to update the weekly data and rerun al lthe pivots without problem. i mention it as may be related to my main issue.

Before I load a workbook I can see the Pivotpower Window green icon on both OS.  Once I load my xlsx workbook I can still see it on the 32-bit, but it is greyed out on the 64-bit.  On the 64-bit I can force the window open, but going to "create linked table" on an already linked  table and then cancelling.  Similarly I cannot create new measures in the 64-bit as greyed out, but again can work round it by right clicking the Powerpivot field list (this isnt greyed out) and the heading. 

Seems like something is a bit corrupted and worry my work arounds will fail eventually. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling powerpivot on 64-bit but no difference. If i try to open the powerpivot window on the 32-bit version it either tries to open and then closes and is then courrupted or throws a handler error.

All seems a big mess so any suggestions appreciated.

Mike

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 10:18 AM

Answers

• My observation is that PowerPivot does not handle out of memory well ... strange and inconsistent problems happen afterwards.  I usually, try filting each of the Excel sheets to a minimal set of values (using slicers or filters), and then refreshing all sheets.  May even try refreshing tables in the PowerPivot window and then refreshing all sheets.  Do saves along the way.

I usually have to go through this sort of ritual after making edits to measures, deleting sheets ...

I have abandoned the 32bit version because of its memory limitations.

bob

bob mick

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:56 PM
  • it was a memory problem so 64 bit sorted it.
    Saturday, November 2, 2013 9:42 AM

All replies

• Did you find an answer to this? I have almost the same problem.

I am running 32-bit excel and 32-bit powerpivot on a 64-bit Win 7 PC.

All was working fine until we made a number of changes to try and get a  SQL 2012 SSAS solution working. Now when I load any powerpivot workbook into excel all the PowerPivot options, apart from Field List and Create Linked Table, are greyed out.

Any ideas on what is wrong?

Thursday, September 13, 2012 9:06 PM
  • no none ever answered so labouring on with the same.  Very occassionally I get all the icons, but no obvious pattern to why. I just select one of my linked tables, hit creat linked table and once powerpivot window has loaded I then cancel
    Friday, September 14, 2012 8:46 AM
  • My observation is that PowerPivot does not handle out of memory well ... strange and inconsistent problems happen afterwards.  I usually, try filting each of the Excel sheets to a minimal set of values (using slicers or filters), and then refreshing all sheets.  May even try refreshing tables in the PowerPivot window and then refreshing all sheets.  Do saves along the way.

I usually have to go through this sort of ritual after making edits to measures, deleting sheets ...

I have abandoned the 32bit version because of its memory limitations.

bob

bob mick

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:56 PM
  • Masplin,

Is this still an issue?

Thanks!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, November 1, 2013 5:38 PM
  • it was a memory problem so 64 bit sorted it.
    Saturday, November 2, 2013 9:42 AM