none
How to create custom task panes for Word 2013 with VB.NET? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

Two simple questions:

- I need to create custom task panes in Word 2013. Can I accomplish this with VS/VSTO 2005 and if not, which version do I need at least?
    - What articles are available on the internet that explain how to create custom task panes with VB.NET in Word 2013?

Thank you,

Cooz

Friday, April 12, 2013 9:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Cooz2,

You can not  accomplish this task with VSTO 2005, You should instal VS 2012 and Office 2013.

If you want create custom task pane with VSTO technology, you can refer to this document to get help.

If you want to create task pane app for Word 2013, you also need to instal Microsoft Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2012,  you can download this tool from here  and then you can according to the article to create custom task pane app for word 2013.

And you  also can new feather for office 2013 from here.

I hope these can help you.Thanks

If my post is helpful,please help to vote as helpful, if my post solve your question, please help to make it as answer.

Friday, April 12, 2013 4:05 PM
  • Hi Cooz

If you want to create your add-in specifically for 2013, or develop it on a machine that has 2013 installed, then you need Visual Studio 2012.

If you must use VSTO 2005 (SE), then you can develop your add-in for Word 2007. The Word 2007 add-in should install and run with Word 2013.

For Word 2013 you also have the option of creating an "Office app", which has a task pane as the UI interface. Whether this would serve your purpose depends on what the add-in should do, beyond providng a task pane.

The starting point for documentation on both kinds of extension for Office can be found here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d2tx7z6d.aspx

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Marked as answer by Cooz2 Monday, April 15, 2013 1:18 PM
    Friday, April 12, 2013 10:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Cooz

If you want to create your add-in specifically for 2013, or develop it on a machine that has 2013 installed, then you need Visual Studio 2012.

If you must use VSTO 2005 (SE), then you can develop your add-in for Word 2007. The Word 2007 add-in should install and run with Word 2013.

For Word 2013 you also have the option of creating an "Office app", which has a task pane as the UI interface. Whether this would serve your purpose depends on what the add-in should do, beyond providng a task pane.

The starting point for documentation on both kinds of extension for Office can be found here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d2tx7z6d.aspx

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Marked as answer by Cooz2 Monday, April 15, 2013 1:18 PM
    Friday, April 12, 2013 10:09 AM
  • Hi Cooz2,

You can not  accomplish this task with VSTO 2005, You should instal VS 2012 and Office 2013.

If you want create custom task pane with VSTO technology, you can refer to this document to get help.

If you want to create task pane app for Word 2013, you also need to instal Microsoft Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2012,  you can download this tool from here  and then you can according to the article to create custom task pane app for word 2013.

And you  also can new feather for office 2013 from here.

I hope these can help you.Thanks

If my post is helpful,please help to vote as helpful, if my post solve your question, please help to make it as answer.

Friday, April 12, 2013 4:05 PM