Micorosoft Media Architecture for Video [1] Bookmark [2] Library [3] Video Segment Playlist within a single video RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a Sr. Software Engineer and I play a lot of the Channel 9 and MSDN TV videos.

I have an older video player (BSplayer) that 'bookmarks' videos. Each bookmark has a (1) TIME and (2) STRING. The UI of the player allows me to 'go back' and see the video to find key sections and replay them.

The general USE CASE is technical videos, training videos.

I would like to be able to develop a small WMP 11 application that can:

[1] Bookmark videos - Save bookmarks in a related XML file.

[2] Jump and Play - Jump to  a video bookmark and play the video at that time point.

[3] Play sequence - Give a video segment seqence of for the current video to the player and have it play them.

A key note is that in [3] the player should seemlessly play all segments. A nice feature (in the video control API) would be a way of controlling fade in/out, delay and other 'video segment SEAM' transistion controls.

It would be nice :-) to have a reference implementation sample.

It would be nice to have WMP play multiple segments from a set of local video files.

As far as I can see the Microsoft WMP 11 has no such concepts (as above). Keywords such as 'video bookmarks' and 'video segments' did not turn up much (but mostly because the MS search engine is pretty crude - no multiple phrase filter).

BSPlayer (the freeware - purchase version) have bugs, issues and problems in the architecture.

This consumer market (video segment playing in a large video library) segment seems to not to exist for Microsoft.

Is this true or can someone directy me to the Microsoft WMP documentation for 'video segment play' architecture and design?

This area is not my forte but videos (the Channel 9 team - God bless them) are an EXCELLENT TRAINING SOURCE and I think, in our technology oriented society, this consumer feature set could be a real time saver :-)

Thanks ahead of time to any architectural direction or comments.

Even if no architecture exists, thanks for your input (I'll just have to wait a few more years :-)

Shawnk

Saturday, November 18, 2006 2:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• This isn't a Media Foundation question, but let me do my best to give you some ideas.  If you have any follow-up questions, try them on the newsgroups I've listed at the end of this post.

For bookmarks, if you're working with ASF (WMA or WMV) content, you can use the Windows Media File Editor application that comes as part of the Windows Media Encoder (you can download it from www.microsoft.com) to insert "markers" in your content.  Save your file with the markers, and then if you open the output file with Windows Media Player, you'll be able to see these markers (View --> File Markers) and jump to them in the content. 

Note that these markers actually end up in the ASF content itself, rather than in some related file.  If you needed to pull them out into an XML file for any reason, it would be really easy to write an application that can do this with the Windows Media Format SDK.

Markers don't affect how playback of the entire file goes, which means that you can accomplish #3 with just a plain old playlist.

I know that's not a "big-picture" answer.  Any follow-up questions, or if you want to get more ideas, try these newsgroups:

Windows Media Player: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/community/newsgroups/WindowsMedia/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player&lang=en&cr=US

Windows Media Encoder: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/community/newsgroups/WindowsMedia/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsmedia.encoder&lang=en&cr=US

Monday, November 27, 2006 3:31 PM
  • Acutally this is a perfect answer :-)

I'm not looking at the big picture (since its not a contract/job project).

I just need to view training videos better and a quick and dirty solution will work just fine.

Thanks again so much for your response :-)

Shawnk

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 3:52 PM