ReportViewer tied to .NET 4.0 RRS feed

• General discussion

• ReportViewer is a component I use frequently. Imagine my surprise in VS2010 when I find that a project MUST use the 4.0 framework choice or the toolbox will not display the component. I am trying to use a 2.0 project for compatability reasons. No matter how I try to reference the WinReportViewer it will not work unless I update the project for 4.0 framework.
    MS, I don't understand what this means for upgrade path for old projects being opened in VS2010. We are a VS2008 shop and it would be horrible to upgrade a bunch of projects to 2010 only to find that ReportViewer is no longer supported by 2.0 framework.

I'll go over to Connect and post as a bug.
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 12:15 PM

All replies

• Here is additional detail I posted to Connect after further testing:

The ReportViewer control is installed on my test system, both 9.0 and 10.0 versions, in GAC. VS2008 and VS2010 are both installed.

In VS2010 I can only use the ReportViewer when I am using dotnet framework 4.0. If I downgrade to 2.0, or select 2.0 when I start a new project, the ReportViewer is not available. I am not able to restore it to the toolbox by adding a 'custom' item either. And I cannot add a reference to ReportViewer Common.
    Conclusion: ReportViewer control is only available in dotnet 4.0 projects

In VS2008 I can create a dotnet 2.0 Windows Forms App and it will support ReportViewer (9.0) control.

I have reproduced this on a separate test machine where only VS2010 is installed.

In addition, if you try and replicate this issue in dotnet 3.0 or 3.5 project, you get different results again. The ReportViewer control is not in the toolbox in 3.0. In 3.5 if you drop it on the form, it will display a warning due to it being a 9.0 control being placed on the form.
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 4:06 PM
  • Hello Dev,

Thanks for your feedback! This looks like a by design change in Visual Studio 2010 for me. But currently, I am also not very sure about for what kind of consideration, the product group do this change. I will consult and get back to you if I got any confirmation from them. And the PG will always monitor the connect site. So we can also wait for their comments in the connect site. And would you mind sharing your submitted link?

Have a nice day!

Ji Zhou

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 8:52 AM
  • Your feedbacks my dear friend saved me a lot of research. Thank you very much. I did try to find the same object last night and I could not find it either. I hope that they can find the solution for you because I'm starting my project from scratch and I agreed with your situation 100%. I know that we can still use VS2008 or any other previuos version but, what is the point of moving on if we don't have a reliable product?
    MSP Registered
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 6:54 PM
  • Yuor feedbacks my dear friend saved me a lot of research. Thank you very much. I did try to find the same object last night and I could not find it either. I hope that they can find the solution for you because I'm starting my project from scratch and I agreed with your situation 100%. I know that we can still use VS2008 or any other previuos version but, what is the point of moving on if we don't have a reliable product?
    MSP Registered

MSP Registered
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 6:55 PM
  • P.S.

I was able to get the Reportviewer with .net 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0. For your information the Reportviewer is not under the Data Group toolbox when using VS2010 is it's now located under the Reporting Group, this is only if you don't know it, in which I'm 100% sure that you know this, ok? But I'm still with you 100% with the .net 2.0 version and not be able to find it or added to your project as a reference using .net Framework 2.0, I can't see it anywhere either. I've noticed that you did report this back in August 2009 and they have not followed up at all, something smells bad. Please Microsoft can somebody give us a straight answer about this issue, "...they say time is the fire in which we burn..." If you have an answer for this issue please pardon me, and can you help us where to find it? Thank you.

MSP Registered
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 9:34 PM