none
Is it possible to use a VTSO-Addin, when embedding an Excel Workbook in a Web Page? RRS feed

• Question

• The scenario is that we have an add-on that is a VTSO and we use it in Excel locally. Now we have an online application, that we want to be able to create a "new" workbook, have it open, and make the add-on available to the user. We are trying to avoid re-writing it literally today and just trying to get this to work if possible.

We are embedding the web page in another App, and would rather the user no have to be kicked out of this app and into Excel but instead "Excel" within the web page.

Thanks!

Monday, November 7, 2016 6:49 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I'd recommend developing an Office App instead. Or just use any third-party components for displaying Excel sheets on a web page. 

Microsoft does not currently recommend, and does not support, Automation of Microsoft Office applications from any unattended, non-interactive client application or component (including ASP, ASP.NET, DCOM, and NT Services), because Office may exhibit unstable behavior and/or deadlock when Office is run in this environment.

If you are building a solution that runs in a server-side context, you should try to use components that have been made safe for unattended execution. Or, you should try to find alternatives that allow at least part of the code to run client-side. If you use an Office application from a server-side solution, the application will lack many of the necessary capabilities to run successfully. Additionally, you will be taking risks with the stability of your overall solution. Read more about that in the Considerations for server-side Automation of Office article. 

[custom.development]

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 12:11 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks. None of this runs on the server side, it's all client based. But on the client you actually have to select the add-on to use it and I don't know how to do that when embedding excel in a web page.

Even if I created a new web addon, my guess is, that shows up as available, because I am embedding Excel Online into the page and it allows for addons?

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 10:37 PM
  • Hi,

VSTO add-ins run on Office desktop.

Office Add-ins run across multiple versions of Office including Office for Windows Desktop, Office Online, Office for the Mac, and Office for the iPad. For more information, please visit Office Add-ins platform overview

>>embedding Excel Online into the page

We could not embed Excel Online into the web page, please visit Excel Online

If you store an Excel workbook on OneDrive.com, you can embed it directly in a blog or website. Your readers can sort, filter, and calculate data right there, and if you update the workbook in OneDrive, they’ll see the latest changes the next time they refresh the page

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 7:38 AM
  • Thanks Celeste,

Unfortunately they need to be able to specifically use the VSTO add-on as it connects them to both a MultiDimension and Tabular model and provides wrapper functionality.

Sounds like this won't be possible without doing a web-based addon or just kicking them out to Excel from the web page

Cheers,

-Michael

Thursday, November 10, 2016 5:59 PM
  • If you want to include some features in the future for Office Extensibility Development, I would suggest you submit a feedback in the link below:

http://officespdev.uservoice.com/

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 11, 2016 9:43 AM