Publishing a VS 2005 VB project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I wrote an application for my work in VS 2005 using Visual Basic. I've finished the first release and I want to send it to my boss to check it out and eventually to other co-workers to use. I'm not really sure how to go about this. I was told that a computer needs the .NET framework to run any applications written in VS. I tried going to Build >> Publish projectName but I got this error:

Error    2    Unable to copy file "bin\Debug\excelBind.exe.manifest" to "bin\Debug\excelBind.publish\excelBind_1_0_0_0\excelBind.exe.manifest". Could not find file 'bin\Debug\excelBind.exe.manifest'.    excelBind

So I guess my real question is, is there a way to publish your application into an executable or installation file that installs the .NET framework and puts an icon for the application onto the desktop?

Was I going about it the wrong why by doing what I mentioned above, and if not, does anybody know what that error means and how to resolve it? Thanks.

Jay
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 5:58 PM

Answers

• I've seen similar errors from time to time with ClickOnce...  Not sure what causes it but I have always been able to resolve it by rebuilding the project and then skipping a publish version level (in your case, rebuild and the try to publish again using version 1.0.0.2).

The ClickOnce deployment will take care of checking for/promting the user to install the .NET Framework, as necessary.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:06 PM

All replies

• I've seen similar errors from time to time with ClickOnce...  Not sure what causes it but I have always been able to resolve it by rebuilding the project and then skipping a publish version level (in your case, rebuild and the try to publish again using version 1.0.0.2).

The ClickOnce deployment will take care of checking for/promting the user to install the .NET Framework, as necessary.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:06 PM
  • Thanks man. I decided to make the program install from a server instead of a CD. Not sure if that's why it worked but on my second go it went through. Cheers.
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 4:34 AM