none
Is .Net Framework 4.0 Compatible with Windows 2000? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying to install the .net framework 4.0 on a Windows 2000 Server box.  Depending on how I do it I either get "Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied" (that happens if i click the download button and then select Open)... or else, if I download the file and then try to run it locally, I get "dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe is not a valid Win32 application."

I seem to remember seeing something about .net 3.5 not running on windows 2000, but can't find that article now, so I was wondering if .net 4.0 is not compatible with windows 2000 server.

Selden
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 4:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• .net 4 system requirements.

WM_HOPETHISHELPS
    -thomas woelfer

http://www.die.de/blog
    • Marked as answer by SeldenM Wednesday, July 7, 2010 3:14 PM
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Thanks!  According to that, it should work on windows 2000 server service pack 4, which is what i have.  So I still have a mystery why I get those errors I mentioned when I try to install it.
    Selden
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 7:52 PM
  • Selden,

if you take a look at that sheet,you'll notice that .net 4 is _not_ supported on w2k. it's net 2 thats supposed to be working ontop of w2k sp4.

WM_HOPETHISHELPS
    -thomas woelfer

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 9:27 AM
  • Hi Selden.

Thomas is correct.

Please check the link that Thomas posted again.

.NET Framework 4.0 is not supported on Windows Server 2000 even it has been upgraded to SP4. Moreover, based on the list, only .NET Framework 2.0 is supported on Windows Server 2000 SP4.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Thursday, July 8, 2010 9:16 AM
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 2:48 PM
  • Thanks for clarifying this.  Yes, I missed that on the table of requirements.  OK, so Windows 2000 is definitely out.  At least that explains why the EXE won't run.
    Selden
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 3:16 PM
  • Hi Selden.

It's my pleasure!

Have a nice day.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 9:16 AM
  • .net 4 system requirements.

WM_HOPETHISHELPS
    -thomas woelfer

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for such a great help.

I just want to make sure that other than "Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition" and "Windows Small Business Server 2003 Standard Edition", FW 4.0 (Full and Client) support on all Windows 2003 versions.

While only FW 4.0 Full version support in 'Windows Server 2003 Premium/Standard Edition" both.

Am i right..?

Thanks and Regards,

Friday, December 30, 2011 10:49 AM
  • "While only FW 4.0 Full version support in 'Windows Server 2003 Premium/Standard Edition" both.

Am i right..?"

No.

The .NET Framework CLient Profile is a subset of the full .NET Framework 4.0, so installing the full .NET Framework 4.0 gives you both .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile and .NET Framework 4.0 Extended.

So, if a Windows version supports " FW 4.0 Full version ", it supports the Client Profile by definition.

Friday, December 30, 2011 2:01 PM
  • .Net framework 4.0 for Windows 2000 Released
    Hi.

I migrated .Net Framework 4.0 for Windows 2000.

But it requires Windows API customize
    and it is not completely compatible.

Friday, September 6, 2013 8:04 AM