POCFabricInstaller failed because the following tasks failed: DomainJoin RRS feed

• Question

• What is the solution to this problem?  I assume it is having an issue with the Azure.com domain, but it was successful at creating the TIP Service Admin and TIP Tenant Admin, so the credentials provided in an earlier step must have been valid.

I've tried restarting the deployment and I'm about to scrap the VHDX and start fresh, but I suspect that I will encounter the same problem.  (Update:  Yup, wiped and started again but got the same result.)

Could the problem be a date/time issue?  While I set the date of the BIOS to local time, the VHDX seems to always be off by 3 hour.  I do set the time zone in Windows.  Could this be the problem?  If so, then where is the correct place to fix the date/time?

Here is some more information:

11 out of 124 tasks completed

Microsoft Azure Stack POC Fabric Installer

Completed Tasks: 11, Total: 52

Report-Progress : The Microsoft Azure Stack POC deployment failed.

Start-PocFabricInstallerTasks : POCFabricInstaller failed because the following tasks failed: DomainJoin

At C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\AzureStack\Deployment\RunAzureStackDeploymentTask.ps1:158 char:19

+ ...        $result = & "Start-$moduleName`Tasks" -StatusUpdatedCallback {

+                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,Start-PocFabricInstallerTasks

At C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\AzureStack\Deployment\Get-AzureStackDeploymentStatus.ps1:107 char:15

+     $Result = Report-Progress($status)

+               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,Report-Progress

• Edited by Paul Rony Tuesday, February 2, 2016 9:24 PM more information.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 7:39 PM

Answers

• We do not expect external DNS to resolve AzureStack.local, and nslookup would get response from the DNS server inside Azure Stack POC with correct IP of ADVM.

There are cases where ISP DNS servers would resolve non-existing domains (like Azurestack.local) to an external IP pointing to its search engine. As a result the host wouldn't be able to find ADVM and domain join would fail. You need to edit the hosts file on the host machine to add the following entry:

192.168.100.2    Azurestack.local  

You may then resume your deployment by kicking off the deployment script again.

Thanks,
    Fan

Friday, February 5, 2016 3:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Paul, I'm sorry that you're encountering this error. I am checking internally to see if there are other known issues that could cause this error. Regarding the VM / guest OS being off by three hours, is Time synchronization enabled in Integration Services? Info on where to check this in Hyper-V is found here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyperv_on_windows/user_guide/managing_ics

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 11:41 PM
  • I don't think the response is applicable as the OS running is a copy of WindowsServer2016Datacenter.vhdx, so it is not actually a virtual machine.  It is simply the Azure Stack boot OS provided for this purpose.
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 3:44 AM
  • 3rd time is not a charm.  I disabled the automatic updating of the date/time to make sure that it was not an issue, but still got the same DomainJoin failure.

What else can I try?

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 4:22 AM
  • The host time zone is set to Pacific Time?

Best regards Daniel Neumann - This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 8:01 AM
  • Getting the same error at Step 11. What is the fix for this issue ?

Microsoft Azure Stack POC Fabric Installer

Completed Tasks: 11, Total: 52

Report-Progress : The Microsoft Azure Stack POC deployment failed.

Start-PocFabricInstallerTasks : POCFabricInstaller failed because the following tasks failed: DomainJoin

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 8:02 PM
  • harry-01:

A few items to help narrow things down:

1.To help determine whether this could be time sync related:

Is the BIOS set to local time? If so, are you seeing a different time in the OS when booting from the vhdx? If you are seeing a different time, did you change the time in the BIOS before changing it in the OS?

2. Are you able to ping the local static IP 192.168.100.2 & DNS name azurestack.local of the AD VM?

3. Please provide the logs collected by using our Invoke-DeploymentLogCollection.ps1. This script is located at <pocvhd>:\AzureStackInstaller\ where <pocvhd> is the driver letter assigned to a VHD that we mount during install.

Note: Be sure that you are giving the host a name that isn't AzureStack, so that it won't conflict with AzureStack local domain controller that is used in the environment.

Paul: my apology about the confusion earlier, thanks for the clarification. We will look forward to the info from you that our PM requested (a subset of the above items) to help the product team investigate further.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 9:15 PM
  • harry-01

Can you share the output of the below command when running on the POC host and on another machine in your network?

nslookup azurestack.local

Thanks,

Thursday, February 4, 2016 10:01 AM
  • The issue was with name resolution of azurestack.local from the host. Is the setup supposed to update hosts file ?
    Thursday, February 4, 2016 8:34 PM
  • do you actually use multiple NICS ? host file isnt updated since we ask to use a single NIC hence every DNS request goes through this NIC. If you have multiple NICs connected to different networks it could explain your issue. especially if search for dns suffix is enable on these.
    Friday, February 5, 2016 1:19 AM
  • We do not expect external DNS to resolve AzureStack.local, and nslookup would get response from the DNS server inside Azure Stack POC with correct IP of ADVM.

There are cases where ISP DNS servers would resolve non-existing domains (like Azurestack.local) to an external IP pointing to its search engine. As a result the host wouldn't be able to find ADVM and domain join would fail. You need to edit the hosts file on the host machine to add the following entry:

192.168.100.2    Azurestack.local  

You may then resume your deployment by kicking off the deployment script again.

Thanks,
    Fan

Friday, February 5, 2016 3:30 AM