none
Errors when following instructions "Installing the WDK Build Environment in a Lab" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I’m trying to follow the instructions that appear on the page at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn384104%28v=vs.85%29.aspx and I’m having several issues.

1. BuildSupportFiles.zip has an additional folder called “HeadlessWDK” that contains all the files – this is not mentioned on the page. In fact, in section “2. Download the BuildLabSupport files”, it suggests that the name of the folder is “BuildLabSupport”, which is confusing. (Did I get the right file?)
    2. I get several errors when I try to run the command given as an example at the end of section 3: powershell -executionpolicy bypass -file Setup.ps1 -DeployBuildLab -VSInstallerPath c:\VSSetup -KitInstallersPath c:\Kits -ExpansionRoot D:\BuildLabInstall -CatalogFile  files.xml
    • Files.xml (extracted from BuildLabSupport.zip) refers to the path “c:\Kits\StandaloneSDK” which doesn’t exist, since the suggested  path is C:\Kits\SDK.
    • I renamed my folder from SDK to StandloneSDK and tried running the command again. Then I get the following error: 

2015-01-26 14:58:24  ERROR: File 'c:\Kits\wdk\Installers\Windows Driver Kit ARM Additions-x86_en-us.msi' does not exist
    at LoadXmlFile, C:\BuildLabSupport\Utilities\CommonSetup.ps1: line 305
    at <ScriptBlock>, C:\BuildLabSupport\Utilities\CommonSetup.ps1: line 396
    at <ScriptBlock>, C:\BuildLabSupport\Setup.ps1: line 55

• Looking at the content of the C:\Kits\Wdk\Installers, there are two files referenced from files.xml that are not present:
      - Windows Driver Kit ARM Additions-x86_en-us.msi
      - Windows Driver Kit Root Dev12 Content-x86_en-us.msi
      What should I do? Remove them from files.xml? Rename some entries in files.xml? Something else?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Monday, January 26, 2015 8:55 PM

Answers

• It does look like the version of files.xml that is in that zip file is wrong for WDK 8.1 Update 1. I'll get that fixed, but in the meantime, you can replace your files.xml file with the following content, which should work with WDK 8.1.

Let me know if that doesn't work for some reason.

<InstallFiles>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\sdk_tools4\sdk_tools4.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\sdk_tools451\sdk_tools451.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_compilercore\vc_compilercore.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_compilerCore86\vc_compilerCore86.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_compilerCore86res\vc_compilerCore86res.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_compilercoreres\vc_compilercoreres.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_compilerx64arm\vc_compilerx64arm.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_compilerx64armres\vc_compilerx64armres.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_compilerx64nat\vc_compilerx64nat.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_compilerx64natres\vc_compilerx64natres.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_compilerx64x86\vc_compilerx64x86.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_compilerx64x86res\vc_compilerx64x86res.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_librarycore\vc_librarycore.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_librarycore86\vc_librarycore86.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_libraryDesktop\arm\vc_libraryDesktopARM.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_libraryDesktop\x64\vc_LibraryDesktopX64.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_libraryDesktop\x86\vc_LibraryDesktopX86.msi</MSI> 
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_libraryextended\vc_libraryextended.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_libraryselectablemfc\vc_libraryselectablemfc.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vcRuntimeAdditional_amd64\vc_runtimeAdditional_x64.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vcRuntimeAdditional_x86\vc_runtimeAdditional_x86.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vcRuntimeDebug_amd64\vc_runtimeDebug_x64.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vcRuntimeDebug_x86\vc_runtimeDebug_x86.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vcRuntimeMinimum_amd64\vc_runtimeMinimum_x64.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vcRuntimeMinimum_x86\vc_runtimeMinimum_x86.msi</MSI>

<MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\BuildTools_MSBuildResMsi_amd64\BuildTools_MSBuildResMsi.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\BuildTools_MSBuildResMsi_x86\BuildTools_MSBuildResMsi.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\BuildTools_MSBuild_amd64\BuildTools_MSBuild.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\BuildTools_MSBuild_x86\BuildTools_MSBuild.msi</MSI>

<MSI kit="SDK" mode="expand">sdk\Installers\Windows Software Development Kit for Windows Store Apps-x86_en-us.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="SDK" mode="expand">sdk\Installers\Windows Software Development Kit Redistributables-x86_en-us.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="SDK" mode="expand">sdk\Installers\Windows Software Development Kit-x86_en-us.msi</MSI>

<MSI kit="WDK" mode="expand">wdk\Installers\Windows Driver Kit-x86_en-us.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="WDK" mode="expand">wdk\Installers\Windows Driver Kit MSBuild Content Dev12-x86_en-us.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="WDK" mode="expand">wdk\Installers\Windows Driver Kit Visual Studio Dev12 Content-x86_en-us.msi</MSI>

<MSI kit="WDK" mode="expand">wdk\Installers\SDK ARM Additions-x86_en-us.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="WDK" mode="expand">wdk\Installers\SDK ARM Redistributables-x86_en-us.msi</MSI>

<MSI kit="WDK" mode="expand">wdk\Installers\Windows Driver Kit ARM Additions Dev12-x86_en-us.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="WDK" mode="expand">wdk\Installers\Windows Driver Kit ARM Additions MSBuild Content Dev12-x86_en-us.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="WDK" mode="expand">wdk\Installers\Windows Driver Testing Framework (WDTF) Runtime Libraries-arm_en-us.msi</MSI>
    </InstallFiles>

Max -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 5:19 PM

All replies

• It does look like the version of files.xml that is in that zip file is wrong for WDK 8.1 Update 1. I'll get that fixed, but in the meantime, you can replace your files.xml file with the following content, which should work with WDK 8.1.

Let me know if that doesn't work for some reason.

<InstallFiles>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\sdk_tools4\sdk_tools4.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\sdk_tools451\sdk_tools451.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_compilercore\vc_compilercore.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_compilerCore86\vc_compilerCore86.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_compilerCore86res\vc_compilerCore86res.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_compilercoreres\vc_compilercoreres.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_compilerx64arm\vc_compilerx64arm.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_compilerx64armres\vc_compilerx64armres.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_compilerx64nat\vc_compilerx64nat.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_compilerx64natres\vc_compilerx64natres.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_compilerx64x86\vc_compilerx64x86.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_compilerx64x86res\vc_compilerx64x86res.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_librarycore\vc_librarycore.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_librarycore86\vc_librarycore86.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_libraryDesktop\arm\vc_libraryDesktopARM.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_libraryDesktop\x64\vc_LibraryDesktopX64.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_libraryDesktop\x86\vc_LibraryDesktopX86.msi</MSI> 
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_libraryextended\vc_libraryextended.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vc_libraryselectablemfc\vc_libraryselectablemfc.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vcRuntimeAdditional_amd64\vc_runtimeAdditional_x64.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vcRuntimeAdditional_x86\vc_runtimeAdditional_x86.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vcRuntimeDebug_amd64\vc_runtimeDebug_x64.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vcRuntimeDebug_x86\vc_runtimeDebug_x86.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vcRuntimeMinimum_amd64\vc_runtimeMinimum_x64.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\vcRuntimeMinimum_x86\vc_runtimeMinimum_x86.msi</MSI>

<MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\BuildTools_MSBuildResMsi_amd64\BuildTools_MSBuildResMsi.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\BuildTools_MSBuildResMsi_x86\BuildTools_MSBuildResMsi.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\BuildTools_MSBuild_amd64\BuildTools_MSBuild.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="VS" mode="expand">packages\BuildTools_MSBuild_x86\BuildTools_MSBuild.msi</MSI>

<MSI kit="SDK" mode="expand">sdk\Installers\Windows Software Development Kit for Windows Store Apps-x86_en-us.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="SDK" mode="expand">sdk\Installers\Windows Software Development Kit Redistributables-x86_en-us.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="SDK" mode="expand">sdk\Installers\Windows Software Development Kit-x86_en-us.msi</MSI>

<MSI kit="WDK" mode="expand">wdk\Installers\Windows Driver Kit-x86_en-us.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="WDK" mode="expand">wdk\Installers\Windows Driver Kit MSBuild Content Dev12-x86_en-us.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="WDK" mode="expand">wdk\Installers\Windows Driver Kit Visual Studio Dev12 Content-x86_en-us.msi</MSI>

<MSI kit="WDK" mode="expand">wdk\Installers\SDK ARM Additions-x86_en-us.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="WDK" mode="expand">wdk\Installers\SDK ARM Redistributables-x86_en-us.msi</MSI>

<MSI kit="WDK" mode="expand">wdk\Installers\Windows Driver Kit ARM Additions Dev12-x86_en-us.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="WDK" mode="expand">wdk\Installers\Windows Driver Kit ARM Additions MSBuild Content Dev12-x86_en-us.msi</MSI>
      <MSI kit="WDK" mode="expand">wdk\Installers\Windows Driver Testing Framework (WDTF) Runtime Libraries-arm_en-us.msi</MSI>
    </InstallFiles>

Max -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 5:19 PM
  • Maxime,

Thanks, this worked without a flaw!

However, now that I'm able to get further in the process, I can see that BuildEnv\SetupBuildEnv.cmd refers to the path "%BuildLabSetupFilesRoot%\Windows Kits\8.2\" which doesn't exist.

I replaced all "8.2" by "8.1", and I'm now able to build my driver correctly.

Thanks for your help,

-Pat

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 7:25 PM
  • Yes, that makes sense. It looks like some pre-release version of the build support files were mistakenly released instead of the WDK 8.1 Update 1 version of them. That explains why you were seeing mismatched MSI names and the 8.2 string in there.

I've contacted the appropriate folks internally to get this fixed on MSDN.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 7:29 PM