none
Shell Launcher works but kills Desktop for all admins RRS feed

• Question

• Running into a bit of an undocumented wrinkle trying to get my device to work correctly.

I have a "kiosk" user that I have a specific application to run in place of the standard shell. Works just fine after setting up through Embedded Lockdown Manager.

However, (there's always one...)

When I either login as an admin, or press my hotkey (escapes to the login screen) and login as one of the admins, I don't get a desktop experience and only a CMD shell. I've tried a number of things but no matter what I do, the admins are affected as well, they just get the CMD shell.

I've looked all over and can't find what command line there is to run the regular desktop (trying to execute DWM.EXE results in nothing. I feel that I'm missing something.

I looked at the "default shell" and it has some odd characters as the name (Chinese) and have tried deleting and recreating it, and it always comes back with the Chinese characters. So not sure if this is the issue, or that ELM is still buggy as all get-out or if my reading comprehension on MSDN is out to lunch.

Monday, July 20, 2015 4:41 PM

Answers

• I found the problem.

At issue here is the DEFAULT SHELL as configured out of the box from Microsoft. 

When you load Shell Launcher and start it up in ELM, the pre-configured default shell has some random and often Chinese characters in it. I deleted it and it auto-recreated itself, again, with the weird characters, so I figured this was "correct" behavior.  (Here's what I saw: ೀ禺Q)

WRONG

I right-clicked it and selected properties and set it to Explorer.exe

Now, it works..HOWEVER, (there's always one, right?)

When you log in as one of the admins, UAC asks if it should run the explorer? And then it crashes, causing a pop-up box informing me that it's stopped working, but the shell continues to work.  So, at least it's --working--  but as configured, out-of-the-box, this glaring issue remains.

Sean: I don't have that kind of confidence in my distributor right now.

• Marked as answer by Reddgum Monday, July 20, 2015 5:44 PM
    Monday, July 20, 2015 5:44 PM

All replies

• I thought there was some bug fix for this some time ago. You might want to elevate the support question through your MS distributor.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Monday, July 20, 2015 4:54 PM
  • I found the problem.

At issue here is the DEFAULT SHELL as configured out of the box from Microsoft. 

When you load Shell Launcher and start it up in ELM, the pre-configured default shell has some random and often Chinese characters in it. I deleted it and it auto-recreated itself, again, with the weird characters, so I figured this was "correct" behavior.  (Here's what I saw: ೀ禺Q)

WRONG

I right-clicked it and selected properties and set it to Explorer.exe

Now, it works..HOWEVER, (there's always one, right?)

When you log in as one of the admins, UAC asks if it should run the explorer? And then it crashes, causing a pop-up box informing me that it's stopped working, but the shell continues to work.  So, at least it's --working--  but as configured, out-of-the-box, this glaring issue remains.

Sean: I don't have that kind of confidence in my distributor right now.

• Marked as answer by Reddgum Monday, July 20, 2015 5:44 PM
    Monday, July 20, 2015 5:44 PM