Bing Maps V8 control doesn't work in Edge on Windows 10 Mobile anymore

Question

• Dear all,

The Bing Maps V8 control normally works in every browser. Since yesterday (11-02-2018) it doesn't work in Microsoft Edge for Windows 10 Mobile anymore. I get a blank page. It also stops working in Internet Explorer on Windows Phone 8.1, but I think that's not so important anymore.

For example I hosted a .html page with a default sample script written by Bing itself. Try navigating to it in every browser, it will show up properly except Edge for Windows 10 Mobile. If you don't have a Windows 10 Mobile device, you can also try the emulator in the Windows 10 SDK. It gives the same unwanted result. Very sad, because I use the Bing Maps control in several UWP applications, but they're all broken now.

Screenshot:

Looking forward to a response and a fix soon.

Best regards,

Wietse ter Haar

Monday, February 12, 2018 5:52 PM

All replies

• I'm not aware of any changes on the Bing Maps V8 side of things. Note that Edge and IE on Windows Phone are not supported browsers by Bing Maps v8 as noted here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt712867.aspx As such, if this is due to an issue in Bing Maps V8, it likely won't be fixed. 

Try the experimental branch of Bing Maps V8 to see if it works. The experimental branch is updated several times a day, so if their was a known issue that was fixed, already, it would be in that branch. 

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Monday, February 12, 2018 7:01 PM
    Owner
  • Dirty liar, I checked that page one hour ago. Check out the screenshots below. Be honest and say you are running a team of losers.

Old:

New:

Look for the differences, idi*t.

• Edited by Wietse0803 Monday, February 12, 2018 9:14 PM
    Monday, February 12, 2018 8:28 PM
  • As I said, Windows Phone is not supported. Support for Windows Phone as a whole (not just maps) started ending in January. I suspect you are seeing a cached version of the docs in the browser. Try pressing ctrl+F5 and you should see that Windows Phone was removed to align with Windows Phone as a whole no longer being supported by Microsoft. 

Also, I feel I should remind you that there is a code of conduct on the MSDN forums. Please adhere to them. I answer questions on the forums in my spare time as a hobby. This is not my job. 

EDIT: If you are a journalist, please read the full thread and don't take this out of context. This is not an announcement about Windows Phone, but a reminder to the user of the state of Windows Phone. The change in documentation was planned before this user even had an app using this API. This user also isn't a licensed user of the enterprise API and is using it with a developer account.

EDIT: I have locked this thread due to a lot of spamming. As noted several times, the Bing Maps team has not made any changes to the API in over a month and this issue appears to only occur in this users application currently in certain regions. We have been testing for two days to reproduce this issue and will continue to do so. If we are able to reproduce this and identify the issue I will update this thread.

Monday, February 12, 2018 9:26 PM
    Owner
  • As I said, Windows Phone is not supported. Support for Windows Phone as a whole (not just maps) started ending in January.

Do we (Windows 10 Mobile) users understand well that the Microsoft stock UWP Maps application will also stop to work soon? Regardless of Microsoft Windows 10 Mobile confirmed support to December 2019? The app is shared, including downloadable offline map data, with the Windows 10 PC version. Should we download all offline map data now to preserve the functionality?

Your statement is a bit confusing and has been quoted in a "general damage" MSPoweruser article.

Thanks.

• Edited by Petr Vones Monday, February 12, 2018 11:57 PM
    Monday, February 12, 2018 11:45 PM
  • This conversation has been about using the V8 web control inside of windows phone apps. Not about the UWP map control. The UWP map control is supported in Windows 10 apps. It will continue to work in Windows Phone 10 as well for the foreseeable future. Note that this user has been the only one to report any issues with Bing Maps V8 in Windows Phone. With that in mine, it is more than likely an implementation issue in their app than an issue in the Bing Maps V8 API.

Not sure why someone would take a forum post and write an article about it without asking any questions for clarity. The author missed some important information. Microsoft announced a while back that mainstream Windows 10 Mobile support will cease on January 9, 2018.

I added a comment to that blog post with some clarifying points but it looks like it was deleted within minutes. 

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 1:30 AM
    Owner
  • Just tested the bing maps v8 control inside of an embedded web browser in windows 10 mobile app and it worked perfectly fine. Please check your app and ensure your app aligns with best practices (ie docs/samples).

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 2:50 AM
    Owner
  • I suspect you are seeing a cached version of the docs in the browser. Try pressing ctrl+F5 and you should see that Windows Phone was removed to align with Windows Phone as a whole no longer being supported by Microsoft. 

The thing is that you apparently just removed it a couple of hours ago. Granted, the last snapshot from web.archive.org [1] is rather old (October '17) but a very recent cached page from Yandex [2] clearly has Windows Mobile listed. I think we can all understand Windows Mobile not being supported officially. But listing it as supported and then suddenly removing it on the quiet after you get to know it's broken is definitely not nice.

[1] https://web.archive.org/web/20171001090525/https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt712867.aspx

[2] https://imgur.com/a/ojqpr

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 9:29 AM
  • The thing is that you apparently just removed it a couple of hours ago. Granted, the last snapshot from web.archive.org [1] is rather old (October '17) but a very recent cached page from Yandex [2] clearly has Windows Mobile listed. I think we can all understand Windows Mobile not being supported officially. But listing it as supported and then suddenly removing it on the quiet after you get to know it's broken is definitely not nice.

[1] https://web.archive.org/web/20171001090525/https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt712867.aspx

[2] https://imgur.com/a/ojqpr

Exactly! They removed it after reading this topic. Microsoft always tries to let the customer or developer think it is your fault. "Look on our support page 'no support'", but one hour before that answer I already navigated to the same page and there was definitely support. It's a very contemptuous way of communicating to your customers.

• Marked as answer by Wietse0803 Tuesday, February 13, 2018 9:57 AM
    • Edited by Wietse0803 Tuesday, February 13, 2018 10:01 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Wietse0803 Tuesday, February 13, 2018 10:05 AM
    Tuesday, February 13, 2018 9:54 AM
  • Not sure why someone would take a forum post and write an article about it without asking any questions for clarity. The author missed some important information. Microsoft announced a while back that mainstream Windows 10 Mobile support will cease on January 9, 2018.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?alpha=Windows%2010%20Mobile

Mainstream Support End Date: 12/10/2019

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 12:22 PM
  • Not sure why someone would take a forum post and write an article about it without asking any questions for clarity. The author missed some important information. Microsoft announced a while back that mainstream Windows 10 Mobile support will cease on January 9, 2018.
    This is because a long-standing Microsoft unclear communication toward Windows 10 Mobile customers. That's why every single piece of information is getting attention and might be wrongly interpreted.

According official Microsoft information, the Mainstream Support End Date is 12/10/2019 as has been already posted. Again, such misleading statements makes things worse only.
    • Edited by Petr Vones Tuesday, February 13, 2018 12:36 PM
    Tuesday, February 13, 2018 12:31 PM
  • it will show up properly except Edge for Windows 10 Mobile

Even worse, it does show up properly in Edge on my Lumia when I change the preferences to show the Desktop version of a site.

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 12:59 PM
  • The change in documentation was planned many months ago to occur in January for the following reasons:

• Using the web control inside of an embedded web browser in a Windows Mobile app was uncommon and very little traffic was sense to occur in this scenario. Majority of the apps it would appear do not have a Bing Maps license and are using free developer accounts in their apps.
    • Nearly all apps using Bing Maps in Windows Mobile use the native map control, not the web control. The native map control is still fully supported and will continue to be so.

However, this change in the documentation went out yesterday before I saw your post. I had been away on leave as my wife had a baby and only returned to work near the end of last week and have been making updates to all the documentation over the past few days. I suspect you saw a cached version of that documentation as it takes a while for all the servers and browser cache to be updated. The timing of your app experiencing issues and this documentation change where very close together which I can understand would cause confusion as to why this change was made. Checking your Bing Maps account, when this change was decided your app had no usage on the V8 web control. Note that this is only a documentation change, meant to prevent users from creating new apps using this approach. The Bing Maps team did not go out of their way to break your app. My comments were meant to assist you in understanding the priority of fixing this type of issue. Ignoring the fact that this is in regards to Windows Mobile for a moment here are some of the main things that are looked at to set the priority of a reported issue:

• Can it be reproduced? (we were unable to reproduce this issue, likely because of the flight)
    • Are others experiencing this issue? (only you have reported any issues with your app
    • How common is the use case scenario? (as noted, very few apps used this approach)
    • Does the user experiencing the issue have an Enterprise license for Bing Maps or are they using a developer account? (It appears you are using a developer account).

Given this information, the priority for investigating this issue by the engineering team would typically be very low and would take a long time before being investigated, if it was investigated. But this if the engineering team, not myself, I'm happy to assist you in trying to figure out what the issue is with your app and assist a ton of developers on these forums developers who have issues that have similar priorities. In fact I'm I've been one of the most active users on MSDN forums for years now (https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/profile/leaderboard/year?name=Ricky_Brundritt) My initial comments were meant to help set expectations. I mentioned the general end of support Windows Mobile to remind you that the platform is near its end and that you may not want to weigh the pro of cons of investing time on this platform. The date I had was for one of the earlier versions of Windows Mobile and was not aware of the other dates, however, these dates where not deciding factors in the documentation changes this from the documentation. My choice of words was not the greatest and when taken out of context could sound like something much bigger was occurring (which as far as I know is not the case, I'm not on the Windows team). 

Looking into this issue deeper it appears a flight of the next release branch update (which has been available in the experimental branch for over a month now) has going out and may be causing your issue. Flights are rolled out to a small number of users initially and then increased. This would explain why you were seeing the issue and I have yet to be able to reproduce it, but will continue to test on and off today until I'm able to reproduce this issue.

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 4:25 PM
    Owner
  • Actually, just heard from the engineering team that the next release hasn't started yet and hasn't been flighted, which means the Bing Maps V8 code has not been changed for over a month now. The issue you are having has either been their since the last release in January and you are only noticing it now, or something else changed. I suspect it isn't a network issue if you are able to access Bing Maps fine on another device on the same network. There is a new issue affecting some users in China at the moment which the team is working on and should have resolved shortly, but not sure this would be related to your issue. Can you verify which branch your of Bing Maps V8 your application is using release or experimental. If it is experimental, then an update in that branch could have been introduced more recently which is causing your issue. That branch is updated several times a day and is prone to have the occasional error in that gets resolved after a few more days check ins, thus why its called the experimental branch.

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 6:32 PM
    Owner
  • I am experiencing this problem also.  If I change my Win10 Mobile Edge browser settings to "Desktop" I see the map.  If I change my Win10 Mobile Edge browser settings to "Mobile" I do not see the map.  The browser is obviously capable of showing a map on a web page -- but in "Mobile" view it is appearing as a blank spot on the web page.  I cannot imagine what the difference in javascript handling could possibly be between the two modes -- and I cannot imagine Bing maps purposefully blocking Win10 Mobile Edge in one mode only.  Very strange.
    Tuesday, February 13, 2018 8:38 PM