Session.Add overwriting variable RRS feed

• Question

• User828781522 posted

Is there something similar to Session.Add() that doesn't overwrite the var if it's already used?

I have

Session.Add("UserSongs", myList);

and I need to just add an element to it each time instead of overwriting. Basically like a normal list would but that isn't lost after we leave action method. Is there something that does this?

Sunday, September 6, 2015 11:02 AM

Answers

• User753101303 posted

Hi,

Seems a confusion between "adding" a new session variable name with the corresponding value or adding a new entry to this particular value. For now my guess is that myList is a new list rather than taking its source from the existing UserSongs session variable? So instead it would be something such as:

List<string> myList = (List<string>)Session["UserSongs"]; // Take the value from the current session variable
                if (myList == null) // Not yet stored in session, create a new list and store it as a session variable
                {
                    myList = new List<string>();
                }
                myList.Add(myList.Count().ToString()); // Add a new entry

I'm just adding a new entry which is the number of elements for demonstration purpose. You could expose thiis using a strongly typed class ie your code would be just something such as :

App.Session.UserSongs.Add("New value");

Behind the scene, this class ensure the session variable exists etc...

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, September 6, 2015 12:31 PM

All replies

• User753101303 posted

Hi,

Seems a confusion between "adding" a new session variable name with the corresponding value or adding a new entry to this particular value. For now my guess is that myList is a new list rather than taking its source from the existing UserSongs session variable? So instead it would be something such as:

List<string> myList = (List<string>)Session["UserSongs"]; // Take the value from the current session variable
                if (myList == null) // Not yet stored in session, create a new list and store it as a session variable
                {
                    myList = new List<string>();
                }
                myList.Add(myList.Count().ToString()); // Add a new entry

I'm just adding a new entry which is the number of elements for demonstration purpose. You could expose thiis using a strongly typed class ie your code would be just something such as :

App.Session.UserSongs.Add("New value");

Behind the scene, this class ensure the session variable exists etc...

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, September 6, 2015 12:31 PM
  • User828781522 posted

Brilliant explanation. Thank you.

Sunday, September 6, 2015 12:57 PM