Metro apps won't run

Question

• I have installed the Preview software and I have a problem whereby apps on the first program panel group run fine other than Internet Explorer but nothing else does on all the remaining tiles.  If I navigate through the search screen to the apps, they don't run there either.   I click and the tile jumps up and down slightly but nothing runs.  Only things that are associated with classic Windows seems to run.  Has anyone else experienced this and got around it?

Thanks

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:19:38 +0000, Gadget wrote:

I have installed the Preview software and?I have a problem whereby apps on the first program panel group run fine other than Internet Explorer but nothing else does on all the remaining tiles.? If I navigate through the search screen to the apps, they don't run there either.?? I click?and the tile?jumps up and down slightly but?nothing runs.? Only things that are associated with classic Windows seems to run.? Has anyone else experienced this?and got around it?

What video resolution are you at?

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Terminal:  What most people have to be before consenting to see a doctor.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:24 PM
  • I am experiencing the same issue on a net book with a resolution of 800X576
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:39 PM
  • I checked the resolution and the installer left it at 800x600.  I moved the slider up to 1368x768 and all works perfectly :)

Thank you

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:50 PM
  • On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:39:24 +0000, Jimmie Starr wrote:

I am experiencing the same issue on a net book with a resolution of 800X576

Not even close to a high enough resolution. You need at least 1024x768 for
    the Metro apps.

Paul Adare
    I must have slipped a disk; my pack hurts.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:46 PM
  • On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:39:24 +0000, Jimmie Starr wrote:

I am experiencing the same issue on a net book with a resolution of 800X576

Not even close to a high enough resolution. You need at least 1024x768 for
    the Metro apps.

Paul Adare
    I must have slipped a disk; my pack hurts.

Really 1024x768?  Can someone please explain to me why Microsoft and PC Manufacturers can't work together?  Almost any netbook I can buy today is 1024x600.  It makes zero sense to me why Microsoft pushes 1024x768.  Windows 8 runs great on my netbook, but I get no metro apps and never will.  How do netbooks even get Windows 7 stickers if they are all unable to meet the screen resolution requirement?  I thought for sure with the Metro UI that Windows 8 would lower the requirement to accommodate all the netbooks out there.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:47 AM
  • On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 00:47:47 +0000, JsunCampanella wrote:

Really 1024x768?? Can someone please explain to me why Microsoft and PC Manufacturers can't work together?? Almost any netbook I can buy today is 1024x600.? It make zero sense to me why Microsoft pushes 1024x768.? Windows 8 runs great on my netbook, but I get no metro apps and never will.? How do netbooks even get Windows 7 stickers if they are all unable to meet the screen resolution requirement?? I thought for sure with the Metro UI that Windows 8 would lower the requirement to accommodate all the netbooks out there.

The Netbook market is basically dead now anyway. Hardly any OEM is
    producing new Netbooks these days.

Paul Adare
    Bubble memory:  A derogatory term, usually referring to a person's
    intelligence. See also "vacuum tube."

Thursday, September 15, 2011 2:31 AM
  • I really want to see Microsoft make a comeback. I installed Windows 8 on my Mac and by default the resolution ins 800 x 600. Everything was working smoothly except the apps. Seriously. Can you make this more obvious - resolution side is needed to make app work?

1. Can't close apps

2. Confusing. Not sure how to exit control panel and etc.

3. No help materials anywhere

Other than that, keep up the good work. I may write some apps for Windows 8 myself.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:02 PM
  • I agree thevinci.  I don't know how to close apps and maybe you're not supposed to...not sure....but when I get too many, my tablet PC grinds to a hault.

With regards to the resolution, a message telling you that the resolution is not sufficient to run this app would be a nice touch.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:44 PM