Checkout automatically Gets Latest version eventhough 'Get latest version of item on check out' option is not selected RRS feed

• Question

• I want to replace the Latest version of a file in TFS 2010 Version Control with an earlier version (plus changes).  Here is what I did:

1. Disable 'Get latest version of item on checkout' (Tools | Options... | Source Control | Visual Studio Team Foundation Server, uncheck option)
    2. Open Source Control Explorer
    3. Right-click on the desired file and select 'Get Specific Version...'
    4. Select Changeset as for Type, and selected an earlier changeset
    5. Open the file to confirm that it is the earlier version
    6. Right-click the file and select 'Check Out for Edit...'
    7. Open the file for editting...

The file version is now the Latest version rather than the version I had retrieved into my workspace previously.  I tried this on 2 different machines, and got the same result.  What am I doing wrong?

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:45 PM

Answers

• Do you mean after you perform "Check Out for Edit", the code shows as the latest version? Or you find it is not correct after you check in the file?

I tried to reproduce the problem but was not successful. After I get a historic version and do Check Out for Edit, it gives me the old version. When I check it in, it asks me to merge the files to solve the conflict.

Windy Liu
    Version Control Software | TWAIN SDK

• Marked as answer by CT Lin Thursday, December 1, 2011 10:17 PM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 10:06 PM

All replies

• Do you mean after you perform "Check Out for Edit", the code shows as the latest version? Or you find it is not correct after you check in the file?

I tried to reproduce the problem but was not successful. After I get a historic version and do Check Out for Edit, it gives me the old version. When I check it in, it asks me to merge the files to solve the conflict.

Windy Liu
    Version Control Software | TWAIN SDK

• Marked as answer by CT Lin Thursday, December 1, 2011 10:17 PM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 10:06 PM
  •  

Hi Windy,

I did some more testing and figured out my problem.  There is a Team Project specific setting called 'Enable get latest on check-out" that was set for my Team Project (Roght-click the Team Project in Team Explorer,and  select Team Project Settings... | Source Control).  I unchecked the setting, and now a checkout no longer fetches the latest version of the file.

Thursday, December 1, 2011 10:17 PM
  • Hi CT,

I’m glad to hear that you got the issue resolved. Thank you for sharing your solution & experience here. It will be very beneficial for other community members having the similar questions.

Welcome you back whenever you need help.

Best Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Friday, December 2, 2011 1:47 AM
  • CT,

Thanks for posting what you did to finally resolve your problem.  I was having the same issue (checkout would get most recent version) and was able to correct it with your information (change the Team Project setting).

Regards,

TONSIR

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 9:44 PM