none
Running application on a server vs client-server application RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have an application that was build for the user desktop -- each user install and use it.

My question what considerations we need to think about if we wish to install the application on the server instead and have the users

run in from their individual desktop?  meanning their will be a shortcut to the application that resides on the server.

Also if I run the application from my desktop, is it running in my PC memory or the server memory?

Is it better to build the application from scratch as a client-server application (which we prefer to avoid if we can) ??

Any idea or resources would help.

Thanks

Avizyah

• Moved by Leo Liu - MSFT Friday, January 27, 2012 8:59 AM Moved for better support. (From:Visual C# General)
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• The main difference when running from a shared location on a server will be that the application may run under different permissions, since this will run under the "Local Intranet" zone instead of the "My Computer" zone.  See: http://support.tabs3.com/main/R11124.htm

That being said, the application will still run as a local process on the PC, and use the memory of the PC.  Unless you execute the executable on the server itself (ie: using remote access) or convert this to a client-server application, in which case the exe will be memory resident on the server.

What is your goal here?  If this is just to ease deployment, you might want to consider ClickOnce instead.  This allows you to have the applications update themselves when you publish a new version, but they're installed locally as a normal application.  See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wh45kb66(v=vs.90).aspx

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:34 PM
  •  

Hi Reed,

One of our customers like it to be on their server instead of each machine becuase of the following:

i. It's easier to update new versions on only one machine (server in this case) than on individual machines as

some of those machines has no permission to update and IT guy has to do it or at time their Fire Wall to not accepts updates from an www sites.

ii. That company management like to have a better control on the data that is generated thru the Application. The application creates financial plans and they like all of the plans to reside on one place on the server and to prevent users from copying it (even thou the users creates the financial plan).

hope it make sense let me know if more info is needed.

on a side note i'm not sure what's the benefit of client-server application vs a regular application that resides on the server that users

just need to run it from their PC using a shortcut to it's location on the server.

Thanks

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 5:29 PM
  •  

Hi Reed,

One of our customers like it to be on their server instead of each machine becuase of the following:

i. It's easier to update new versions on only one machine (server in this case) than on individual machines as

some of those machines has no permission to update and IT guy has to do it or at time their Fire Wall to not accepts updates from an www sites.

ii. That company management like to have a better control on the data that is generated thru the Application. The application creates financial plans and they like all of the plans to reside on one place on the server and to prevent users from copying it (even thou the users creates the financial plan).

hope it make sense let me know if more info is needed.

on a side note i'm not sure what's the benefit of client-server application vs a regular application that resides on the server that users

just need to run it from their PC using a shortcut to it's location on the server.

Thanks

Your current option helps with point 1 - but ClickOnce also has the same advantage.  It allows the application to auto-update when the IT person puts a new version up.

Your point 2 won't be changed by moving the application - if you need this level of control, you'd have to use a client-server architecture, or some other means of controlling where generated data is stored.  The location of the executable won't change this, and having the exe installed locally wouldn't have any imapct on this at all.

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 12:11 AM
  •  

Well, I should have mentioned that this is legacy type of application written in VB6 so I wonder if it's possible to hook ClickOnce into it...

I agree that for a better control it's either client-server model or some major changes to the current App is in need.

Thanks for the info

Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:38 PM
  • Hi Reed,

This forum handles requests related to Open Protocols Specifications documentation issues.
    The Open Protocol Specifications can be found at: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc203350.aspx.
    Your question does not appear to be related to the Open Protocols Specifications documentation set.

I suggest you try a forum at the following link, http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro

Regards,
    Mark Miller
    Escalation Engineer
    US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Friday, January 27, 2012 12:46 PM
  •  

Thanks for the link.

just the same my disscussion with reed was helpful to me.!

Friday, January 27, 2012 6:03 PM
  • Hi Avizyah,

You're certainly welcome.  I'm glad the forum discussion with Reed was helpful.

Regards,
    Mark Miller
    Escalation Engineer
    US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Friday, January 27, 2012 6:06 PM