none
Automate Template Save RRS feed

• Question

• (reposting from general, as this was more of custom category)

What is the best practice recommendation for saving project templates to pwa instances of dev/test/prod?

Every few weeks some edits are made to the template that include updating enterprise resources, etc.

I am looking for recommendation on best way to automate the template "publication" to development, test and production environments. Obvious reason is to keep consistency and not make human errors while we do the update.

e.g. the repetitive task that might be error-prone is adding enterprise resources to template in dev, test and prod. If I can automate at least this, it would be a time saver and not error prone, and a 1st line help desk would be able to handle this.

Is this possible using ootb functions, is custom development required, etc.

-Nilesh Kelkar

Monday, August 15, 2011 3:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Nilesh,

I saw the response in the general forum and can't think of a better way.  It really depends on your environments - handling this manually on the production system and then re-provisioning to test and production is one way.  If these are more things that you want to test in non-productiuon first then oviously this will not work.

Prasanna's response from the general forum just to save other readers searching was "Well, the only OOTB way is to resave the project plan as templates on all three instances separately."

I guess you could automate this client side with VBA using a local saved mpt and then connecting to the different PWA instances - but still not very elegant.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:54 PM
    Owner