How to hide the "welcome" text message when windows start up RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to replace the start up background picture, but the "welcome" text is still there, at the center of the screen. Can anybody tell me how to remove this?
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:31 AM

Answers

• I am the program manager responsible for this feature area.
    I regret that it is not currently possible to remove the text on the startup screens.
    You can replace the background and remove the windows branded logo (in non evaluation versions) but the text will remain.
    I would appreciate it if you could add some information regarding why this is important for you and what market your devices are targetting. This will help us prioritize this issue for post RTM work.

Sincerely,
    Adam Ferman

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 6:35 AM

All replies

I regret that it is not currently possible to remove the text on the startup screens.
    You can replace the background and remove the windows branded logo (in non evaluation versions) but the text will remain.
    I would appreciate it if you could add some information regarding why this is important for you and what market your devices are targetting. This will help us prioritize this issue for post RTM work.

Sincerely,
    Adam Ferman

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 6:35 AM
  • Hello Adam:
    My application is going to be the custom shell of the system. I must control all the virtual effects which could be seen by end user. I don't want the user to see any windows feature on the embedded system.So I must remove the bootscreen, the windows band screen, the windows explorer shell, and any other feature of windows, include "welcome" message. I think there are many users of WES2001 need this feature too.

Just one word: More settings, plz :)
    • Proposed as answer by トトロ9355 Monday, May 9, 2011 4:07 AM
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 4:23 AM
  • Thank you for the information. We will not be able to add this ability for RTM but will consider it for a post RTM addition.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 5:42 AM
  • Hello,
          I want to hide the "welcome" ,"shutdown" text message and windows brand when windows start up.    (Windows embedded 7 RC)
          Can I use "Unbranded Startup Screens" this component to do it?
          And this component can become effective?
          But Unbranded Startup Screens will not function if you use it with an evaluation license.
          Really?

If not, Please tell me how to make this function come true.

Thank you!!

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 1:56 AM
  • Unfortunately, even though this has been requested with the previous builds the team has stated removing the start-up & shutdown messages will not be an option. You can use unbranded start up screens and even change the logon background, but it doesn't look very good with the status messages in the way.
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:40 AM
  • Hello Adam:
    My application is going to be the custom shell of the system. I must control all the virtual effects which could be seen by end user. I don't want the user to see any windows feature on the embedded system.So I must remove the bootscreen, the windows band screen, the windows explorer shell, and any other feature of windows, include "welcome" message. I think there are many users of WES2001 need this feature too.

Just one word: More settings, plz :)
    I'm in largely the same boat and would definitely appreciate this setting.
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:12 PM
  • In addition, the boot splash screen must also be configurable. Windows Logo or Blank screen are the only options. In XPe, we could change the boot splash screen with a custom 640x480 4BPP boot.bmp file. A blank screen for some systems is not good since it looks like the system has crashed or unresposive. A custom branded splash screen would help.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com, Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XPe Supplemental Toolkit, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 5:09 PM
  • I agree.  I posted a similar comment last week elsewhere on the forum.   This is a very important feature that I'm sure many other embedded developers will need.  I'm suprised that a paper has not been published by Microsoft to describe a workaround.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 5:26 PM
  • I also want to add my vote to having the ability to have a BIOS boot logo persisted until WES7 initialises the GDI driver and displays the startup background. I could do it (small flicker but worked) with WES2009 using the boot.ini switches /bootlogo /noguiboot but have yet to find a BCDedit equivalent to /bootlogo. ( bcdedit /set quietboot seems to be equivalent to /noguiboot). I have notced you find bcdedit settings on the net that are not documented on MSDN so maybe a faint hope there is a equivalent to bootlogo. (yes I have tried bcdedit /set bootlogo and bcdedit /set {bootmgr} bootlogo. Feel free to shatter my dreams and tell me there is no equivalent to /bootlogo

Tom.

PS any ideas were you can put x86 NOP instrunctions in bootmgr, winload and winresume to stop them accessing the frame buffer!!!!

Monday, June 21, 2010 2:30 PM
  • Tom -

Have you looked at SUPPRESSBOOTDISPLAY flag in the Simple Boot Flag Specification whitepaper? (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/resources/respec/specs/simp_boot.mspx).

By setting this flag, BIOS can retain control over the display until the control is handed over to the kernel (ntoskrnl.exe). This flag "enables the presentation of a BIOS-provided display screen that will be uninterrupted by the OS loader (bootmgr, winresume, winload), including display mode changes or screen blanking".

Note that this feature does not cover anything displayed by the OS after the kernel is in control (which is the more common ask in this thread).

Edit: It turns out this flag is no longer supported on Win7. :(

Srikanth Kamath [MSFT] - This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, June 21, 2010 6:49 PM
  • Hi Srikanth,

Yes I have tried that and I have verified with a cool tool RW-Everything that it is set, it seems to me the WES7 boot module combo of bootmgr,winload and winresume are not using that bit. Or there is some undocumented bcdedit setting to get them to read it. I can't be certain but it seems to me the bootmger module is just clearing the frame buffer when it takes control.

There was a hotfix for this bit for WinXP,maybe the hotfix wasn't applied to Windows 7. But I am still a bit confused about the SUPPRESSBOOTDISPLAY bit. When I set it to 0 on a WES2009 boot the logo is still persisted, from my testing the boot.ini flag /bootlogo is what’s driving ntldr and not this bit. ie with both WES2009 and WES7 I have yet to see a changing of this bit changing the boot behaviour of the os loader. I am using the build tools of phoenix embedded bios to change this bit and then RW-Evertthing to verify on the running system, hence my confusion.

It would be nice if somebody could answer the question..

If SUPPRESSBOOTDISPLAY=1 and using a standard boot.ini line WITHOUT /bootlogo & /noguiboot should the BIOS boot logo be persisted???

Thanks for your time Srikanth

Tom.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 8:53 AM
  • The way I interpret the documentation, SUPPRESSBOOTDISPLAY is independent of any boot.ini or bcdedit flags. I recommend that you start with a default boot.ini (bcd store for wes7) without any additional flags set and then test SUPPRESSBOOTDISPLAY. For WES7 don't even include "Hide Boot Screens" component when testing SUPPRESSBOOTDISPLAY.

Share your boot.ini (or bcdedit output) with your results.

It turns out this flag is no longer supported in Windows 7. Please refer to my later post.
    Srikanth Kamath [MSFT] - This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 5:02 PM
  • Hi Srikanth,

Thanks again for your time and you will need some time to read this…

I done what you suggested with a WES7 image and a WES2009 and the boot screens were still displayed. I verified the contents of the CMOS byte with RW-Everything and it was 0x89. This is as expected bit 0 = 1 for pnpos, bit3 = 1 for SUPPRESSBOOTDISPLAY and bit 7 = 1 for the odd parity check.

I would like to concentrate on the WES7 since that is what is requied.  But a final few notes on the WES2009. I replaced the ntldr with the ntldr from the XP SP2 hotfix and the result was still the same but I expect the ntldr for WES2009 to support this anyway since it is the XP sp3 ntldr. The boot.ini is the standard created by the WES2009 target designer is as follows.

[boot loader]

timeout=0

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Embedded Standard" /fastdetect /noexecute=AlwaysOff

Back to the more important WES7 usage of for SUPPRESSBOOTDISPLAY.

An important question is :-

Does the bootmgr, winload and winresume placed on the DISK by the IBW tool support the SUPPRESSBOOTDISPLAY??? (I have yet to get a definite answer from Microsoft to say that WES7 does  support this flag).

I have not used bcdedit to modify any setting for this last build and the bcdedit /enum all returned this:-

Windows Boot Manager

--------------------

identifier              {bootmgr}

device                  partition=C:

description             Windows Boot Manager

locale                  en-US

inherit                 {globalsettings}

default                 {current}

resumeobject            {096fb4e4-7dda-11df-a259-964a92de729d}

displayorder            {current}

toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}

timeout                 30

Windows Boot Loader

-------------------

identifier              {current}

device                  partition=C:

path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe

description             Windows Embedded Standard

inherit                 {bootloadersettings}

osdevice                partition=C:

systemroot              \Windows

resumeobject            {096fb4e4-7dda-11df-a259-964a92de729d}

nx                      OptIn

Resume from Hibernate

---------------------

identifier              {096fb4e4-7dda-11df-a259-964a92de729d}

path                    \Windows\system32\winresume.exe

description             Windows Resume Application

inherit                 {resumeloadersettings}

filedevice              partition=C:

filepath                \hiberfil.sys

pae                     Yes

debugoptionenabled      No

Windows Memory Tester

---------------------

identifier              {memdiag}

path                    \boot\memtest.exe

description             Windows Memory Diagnostic

badmemoryaccess         Yes

EMS Settings

------------

identifier              {emssettings}

bootems                 Yes

Debugger Settings

-----------------

identifier              {dbgsettings}

debugtype               Serial

debugport               1

baudrate                115200

RAM Defects

-----------

identifier              {badmemory}

Global Settings

---------------

identifier              {globalsettings}

inherit                 {dbgsettings}

{emssettings}

{badmemory}

Boot Loader Settings

--------------------

identifier              {bootloadersettings}

{hypervisorsettings}

bootstatuspolicy        IgnoreAllFailures

Hypervisor Settings

-------------------

identifier              {hypervisorsettings}

hypervisordebugtype     Serial

hypervisordebugport     1

hypervisorbaudrate      115200

Resume Loader Settings

----------------------

identifier              {resumeloadersettings}

If WES7 supports for SUPPRESSBOOTDISPLAY then two possible reasons that it is not working are :-

1) The OS loader modules are choosing to ignore it. The spec says “If set during POST, the OS loader may choose not to alter the display output….” But I don’t see any errors so what other reasons are there for the OS loader to ignore this bit.

2) The OS loader thinks the platform does not have the SimpleBootFlag so does not try to read it. I say this because when I import the pmq file into WES2009 the dependency check fails and I have to select a computer type (One of the options under Hardware\devices\computers in Target designer) The pmq has ACPI devices but not the one that stops this failure. SO…. Maybe the osloader does not think the system has ACPI tables and does not bother looking for the boot flag ie is the osloader looking for the same pnpid that would stop this failure in the dependency check. For example the pnpid resource in target designer for ACPI multiprocessor PC is PnPID(819):”ACPIPIC_MP”.

In the end if WES7 supports SUPPRESSBOOTDISPLAY and the bit is set correctly then what are the list of reasons which would cause the os loader to ignore it?

Is there a check (and what is the check) in the osloader that tells it the platform has ACPI tables and has the SimpleBootFlag? (note the RW-Everything tool finds the ACPI tables and the SimpleBootFlag

Are there debug versions of bootmgr, winload and winresume that can trace to COM1???

Tom.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 4:13 PM
  • It turns out this flag is no longer supported in Windows 7. My apologies for leading you on a wild goose chase here :(. I will update my previous posts to reflect this.
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:14 PM
  • Since SUPPRESSBOOTDISPLAY is not supported, what other means do we have to produce the same behavior? 
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 8:47 PM
  • Any update?  This behavior is very important to us and we're eagerly awaiting a solution.  Thanks.
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 4:53 PM
  • Hi,

A delayed response but this is still a hot topic.  We also have a requirement to display custom graphics during the BIOS POST, OS boot phase, OS pre-shell, etc.  The reasons for this are as follows

1> If you display a blank screen for long enough people assume something has gone wrong (i.e. use the no-boot logo options).

2> We are developing an appliance, not a computer system, therefore, we want it to look and feel like an appliance, not a computer system.

3> We are big Microsoft fans but we don't want your banding all over our appliance (sorry), the look and feel is also your branding, such as the 'welcome' and 'shutting down' text, we make a big deal out of using a Microsoft embedded OS but as stated before, it's our branding we want the customer to see.

4> It's a great differentiator between the desktop and embedded OS, it's obvious to customers that this isn't the desktop OS, our customers like that.

5> It allows us to customise yet another OS layer to how we want it to be, giving me yet another reason (there are many) not to use Linux on our appliances.

Thanks,

John Alexander.

Digital Video Developer
    Monday, July 19, 2010 2:22 PM
  • Hi All,

I found a solution to this but you need access to the BIOS source code! I am using Phoenix embedded BIOS. Simple in the end, The BIOS displays a Splash screen and then just before handover to OS loader you disable access to the IO/Space and Memory Space of the graphics controller using the PCI command register (offset 04h in Graphics controller PCI config space). Then in the BIOS SMI handlers you reenable accesses to the Graphics controller. So Graphics controller disabled when bootmgr, winresume and winload are running.

Ciao,

Tom.

Friday, August 27, 2010 4:24 PM
  • Quick guide. there is absolutly no support from microsoft, but it works.
    take a resource hacker (e.g. reshack or resource tuner)

How to Edit "Welcome" Message:
    file: system32\en-us\winlogon.exe.mui
    Look in String Table > "63"

How to Edit "Boot animation"
    file: system32\bootres.dll --> includes wim resource
    export this wim resource
    (mount, modify)
    --> wim includes a bmp (200*21000) --> repack wim --> build in bootres.dll
    (--> you may have to sign the new dll).

• Proposed as answer by KNARZ Friday, August 27, 2010 5:27 PM
    Friday, August 27, 2010 5:05 PM
  • You can remove this by :
    Create a DWORD registry value “UIVerbosityLevel” under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon, and set this value to “0”. Then reboot.
    • Proposed as answer by JerryLiao Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:06 AM
    Friday, April 1, 2011 8:58 AM
  • Removing and replacing boot screen with custom screen is a real winner with customers in the embedded space

as KNARZ has said using resource hacker seems the only current method of getting somewhere close with this request.

on WES2009 this was a big plus point being able to debrand to a large degree the entire image/device, so that it really could be treated as an appliance and the end user / customer would not think of it as a PC , this is a useful mindset when you are having to deal with corporate IT Network departments, since any PC needs to be endorsed by them, but a unit that is debranded totally does not seem to be a PC and hence can be eased under the radar and thus speed up adoption.

So in my explorations of WES 7 I am somewhat dismayed to see just how difficult, awkward, this process of debranding is turning out to be.

As developers, technology prophets etc we need this feature .

www.embeddedtalk.co.uk www.steatite.co.uk
    Friday, April 1, 2011 9:15 AM
  • As I stated in another post, WES7 is a step backwards from XP Embedded in this area. Per Richard's point, it is a very valuable feature to hide all of Windows so we can make the systems look like an appliance. This is a serious detractor for WES7 as embedded OS.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Saturday, April 2, 2011 6:59 AM
  • Create a DWORD registry value “UIVerbosityLevel” under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon, and set this value to “0”. Then reboot.
    • This entry helps with the welcome message and loading circle, but there are still messages like "please wait..." but indeed it helps! ;)
      Great!

"Mark/Propose As Answer" if you got one.
    Saturday, April 2, 2011 3:52 PM
  • @Cynthia Huo

Where did you get this Info/Regkey? Are there more Keys's/Info? 
    I haven't found any documentation for "UIVerbosityLevel".

Monday, April 4, 2011 1:31 PM
  • Indeed.  Branding an embedded device is not just a "nice to have" but is required.  This topic has been discussed for months on this forum but I have yet to see a single post by Microsoft to even acknowledge the value that branding has to our embedded systems. 

Monday, April 4, 2011 10:37 PM
  • Yes, Cynthia Huo you've definitely peaked our interest with your registry tweak which hides several artifacts of Microsoft branding.  Could you show us more Registry tweaks to tailor more branding artifacts such as the boot screen?

Thanks!!

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:33 PM
  • i ask her over facebook and she got it from a internal discussion. she had no further information...
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 1:42 PM
  • Sorry for no further infor.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:16 AM
  • This is a major problem for us.  Marketing is having a fit with how boot up looks.  Not only do we have all these Microsoft artifacts during bootup, but the screen blanks out a couple times too.  We are probably going to have to implement a hardware solution where an FPGA will just take over the VGA to display a bitmap while Windows is loading.

This is quite unfortunate.  I can't believe Microsoft hasn't addressed this yet.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 10:08 PM
  • Thank you Cynthia, that helps! Too bad we still have the logging off Please wait... message.

Anyone has any remedies to this? I'm also trying to eliminate as much of these as possible.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 7:08 AM
  • edit winlogon.exe.mui
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 12:50 PM
  • edit winlogon.exe.mui
    Using?
    Friday, July 29, 2011 5:58 AM
  • PE Explorer, resourcetunter (heaventools)
    Friday, July 29, 2011 10:58 AM
  • Does someone know where the Bitmap Resource Files for the loading circle are stored `?

I hope/guess they use the same file for the LogOn and LogOff Circle .

Any hints ? 

THX.

• Edited by DanB_DE Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:42 AM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:42 AM

Sincerely,
    Adam Ferman

Really?  How about our companies want to use our own product branding.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:49 PM
  • Does someone know where the Bitmap Resource Files for the loading circle are stored `?

I hope/guess they use the same file for the LogOn and LogOff Circle .

Any hints ? 

THX.

Any Idea ?
    KNARZ ?

Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:44 AM
  • Someone in the board posted some advice / the dll. but i don't know the thread anymore. he called the the circle pretty weird (in dependence of BSOD).

The LogonCircle shouldn't be visible with the UIVerbosity. Only the LogOff with "Please Wait".

EDIT:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/quebeceefs/thread/edab766c-7637-4e30-a6f4-a32f8b072d85/

2. C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll (status animation) aka (toilet bowl of death)

Bitmap | 5000 - 5013 | 1033

Windows Embedded Developer and Scripting Guy //Germany
    • Edited by KNARZ Thursday, October 27, 2011 1:55 PM
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 1:47 PM
  • Knarz, sorry for the late reply. many thx. for the hint. !!

Yes i was looking for the LogOff Circle, but i guess its the same bitmap. i try to test it on the weekend.

Friday, November 11, 2011 7:54 PM