none
Room Availability in EWS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, We have created an application for room booking and one of the tasks is to search exchange for 10 minute meeting slots and book the resource for 10 minutes at a time. I have come across 2 properties that should help but they dont seem to work as I want. These are AvailabilityOptions.MergedFreeBusyInterval and AvailabilityOptions.Duration. The first can be set between 5 and 1440 whereas the other can't be set less than 30 minutes. Is this a limitation of EWS or Exchange and is there a way round it. Any help would be appreaciated.

Regards

Amir

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 9:01 AM

All replies

• Not sure where you getting AvailabilityOptions.Duration from ? there is only MeetingDuration  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-au/library/microsoft.exchange.webservices.data.availabilityoptions.meetingduration(v=exchg.80).aspx

MeetingDuration is only used with the MeetingSuggestion part of this operation eg your asking exchange to suggest a FreeSlot for a meeting of X duration.

MergedFreeBusyInterval is the Interval value that will determine the time differenace between the free busy slot data that is returned to you.

Eg if you ask for the FreeBusy information between 1 and 2 Pm with a MergedFreeBusyInterval of 10 minutes the Merged information that is returned will be divided into 10 minute intervals starting from 1 PM and end at 2 PM.

Most problems with GetUserAvailbility have to do with TimeZones so i would suggest reading http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/exchange/bb655859(v=exchg.80).aspx carefully.

Cheers
    Glen

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 6:38 AM
  • Thanks Glen for replying. Yes sorry I did mean MeetingDuration. I was under the impression that the MeetingDuration was the length of the meeting which has a value of 30 to 1440 minutes but since we are trying to book meetings for 10 minutes the Meeting Duration can't be set to 10 so errors. If we set to 30 minutes then the results returned are not 10 minute slots but 30.

Regards

Amir

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 9:31 PM
  • >>  If we set to 30 minutes then the results returned are not 10 minute slots but 30.

If your looking at the results for the Suggested meetings then of course they will be 30 minutes because that's what you have told Exchange your looking for and that's a limitation around Suggested Meeting.

If you use MergedFreeBusyInterval and look at the FreeBusy information for particular rooms you should be able to get 10 Minutes slots. You will then need to build your own logic around picking the best avaible meeting room. The important point as outlined in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa580719(v=exchg.150).aspx is not to use the Suggested Meeting enum "This value is used only if the RequestedView element is equal to MergedOnly, FreeBusyMerged, or DetailedMerge. This is an integer data type. The stream that contains the intervals defined by this element is returned in the MergedFreeBusy element."

Cheers
    Glen

Thursday, April 11, 2013 6:21 AM