Don't find AD Groups in Sharepoint rights RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I'just install a sharepoint 2007 on a win2008 in a farm ...
    All seems ok but I get no AD group when I put right on the site collection ..

I find all user of the AD but no group .. ?
    I need to synchronize the AD with the group manager of sharepoint ? (how I do that)

THanks ?
    Friday, August 21, 2009 12:44 PM

Answers

• You can only add Users but not Group to as Site Collection Administrators.

If you click the Browse button, you should see the title of the dialogue box is *Select People*.

Usually, if you need to give group of users to the Full control of the site, you could add the AD group to Owners group.

Hope the information can be helpful.

-lambert

Sincerely,
    Lambert Qin | Microsoft TechNet Managed Forum Support
    Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by CbuatACM Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:20 AM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:41 AM

All replies

• no offense in any way but it's hard to understand what you're saying but we'll try...

if you're trying to add AD persons/groups to be your Site Collection Adminstrators, then logon to the site, Click Site Actions - Site Settings or goto http or https://your_site_name/_layouts/mngsiteadmin.aspx - BUT, they should be trained on being a Site Collection Adminstrator otherwise you'll be shooting yourself in the foot later if there is a problem.

if you're trying to add a AD group there, you should try the format DOMAINNAME\GROUPNAME or GROUPNAME, then click search and it should populate...

let us know.

Friday, August 21, 2009 6:15 PM
  • ok sorry to my bad english ..

Yes it's exactly what I want to do .. but I got access to the users .. but not to the groups .. in the AD ..
    Any suggestions ?
    For example I got a group in the AD .. MYDOMAIN\INFRA, I try to add 'INFRA' or 'MYDOMAIN\INFRA' and I got no proposition..
    But I got a user MYDOMAIN\SHAREPOINT, and when I try to add 'SHAREPOINT' he give me the good user..

It's only I don't see group..

THanks Cbu
    • Edited by CbuatACM Saturday, August 22, 2009 7:46 AM
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 7:24 AM
  • It's no problem - I get the same when I try to speak another language that isn't my first, and I'm glad you didn't take offense.
    Ok, moving on, Hmm, if you're certain that server is part of the enterprise then that should've worked .... if you use the format "DOMAIN\GROUPNAME", and click the little Check Mark to verify the group, it should work - even if there is a space, hmm, also try "DOMAIN\GROUP NAME" just in case.... also, if that doesn't work, ensure that you are looking into the Enterprise and Not at the local machines groups/users (my appologies for not giving exact details on steps - I don't have a 2008 server to guide you)...
    Monday, August 24, 2009 5:02 PM
  • You can only add Users but not Group to as Site Collection Administrators.

If you click the Browse button, you should see the title of the dialogue box is *Select People*.

Usually, if you need to give group of users to the Full control of the site, you could add the AD group to Owners group.

Hope the information can be helpful.

-lambert

Sincerely,
    Lambert Qin | Microsoft TechNet Managed Forum Support
    Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by CbuatACM Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:20 AM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:41 AM
  • indeed it's exactly that..

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:20 AM