Problem with printing database diagrams RRS feed

• Question

• When I print a database diagram directly, I get the top left corner obsrured on the printout by what looks like an empty popup box. This means the columns names are blanked out for the first 5-6 rows. I have tried this with a variety of printers and the effectis the same on all. The problem appears to be specific to SQL2005 as one of the servers has both SQL2000 and SQL2005. The disagrams from the SQL2000 print perfectly, the ones from SQL2005 do not.

SQL2005 has been patched to SP2.

I have circumvented the problem by writing an SSRS package to print the output of a stored procedure that emulates the database diagram. Also there is an option in SQL2005 database diagrams to get an image of the diagram. I have printed this in Word and it prints flawlessly that way.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 7:42 AM

Answers

All replies

• I believe this is an unique problem you are facing and I think nothing much done from SQL dev. team.

See thsi http://www.codeproject.com/dotnet/ScriptDiagram2005.asp is any help and you can report the same to MS Connect website http://connect.microsoft.com/

Sunday, April 15, 2007 5:47 PM
  • Regrettably I still have the problem with diagram on SQL2005 (but SQL2000)
    Sunday, April 22, 2007 9:28 PM
  • This is not a unique problem.

I've been encountering it for a month or two.

It's intermittent.  Sometimes the diagrams are okay, sometimes these boxes obscure fields.

My only work-around is to PRINT SCREEN and then copy it into Word and print it.

Friday, June 1, 2007 4:33 AM
  • We are having this same problem.  If you copy to Word it will print.  Has there been a solution found yet?
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 6:32 PM
  • Copying to Word is a good work-around, but is not a solution. It did happen with all the printers I could try at that site.
    Monday, July 9, 2007 10:16 AM
  • Over the past year, I have worked with SQL2005 in 4 locations and only at 1 site did this problem occur, however recently Mark Kamoski has reported the problem at http://forums.asp.net/t/1190828.aspx.

Friday, December 7, 2007 6:09 AM
  • There is a suggested fix at http://forums.asp.net/t/1190828.aspx

As I am not experiancing this problem in the current environment, I cannot vouch for its effectiveness, but I cite in case some subscriber to this thread should find it useful.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 8:16 AM
  • From http://forums.asp.net/t/1190828.aspx

Had this same problem, found a solution somewhere else on the net (don't have address); try zooming in the diagram, then scrolling to the lower right hand of the diagram before printing. Weird but it works for me. It doesn't get rid of all the artifacts only the ones over the words, but that is sufficient for me.

John
    • Proposed as answer by Naomi N Friday, January 13, 2012 4:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kalman TothEditor Monday, January 16, 2012 12:37 AM
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 4:25 PM
  • I have encounted the problem again.  This time on a standalone PC running Windows XP SP3 with a Brother HL=1430 printer. I can circumvent the problem by doing a copy to clipboard and printing from Word.

So apart from encountering it on an Isolated PC, it is not an isolated problem.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:43 PM
  • This is not an isolated problem.

It is still reproducible on Win Server 2008 R2 64 bit with VS 2008 SP1 and/or SSMS 2008 SP1.
    cs
    • Proposed as answer by Naomi N Friday, January 13, 2012 4:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kalman TothEditor Monday, January 16, 2012 12:37 AM
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:09 PM
  • This is also a problem when printing to Microsoft XPS Document Writer, so there's no blaming the printer vendor.

Copying to word, or any other program that can paste an image, is a poor workaround. I find any printed text gets squashed up and is less readable in the image than on the screen in SSMS. It varies with the zoom level at the time of copying to the clipboard.

FWIW, the artifacts I'm seeing appear to be an attempt to render the 3d-look row selector buttons, with incorrect scaling.

Monday, October 11, 2010 11:30 PM
  • Hi,

There is an active issue for this in Connect for SQL Server (https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/124922/sql-2005-database-diagram-not-printing-correctly#tabs).  It was opened in 2006, and I updated it today.  If you have a Connect account for SQL Server, you can go and vote it up and mark that you can reproduce it.

I get the problem on several computers, hardware and virtual, windows XP and 2008 R2, SQL 2008 and SQL 2008 R2.  I even got it with XPS on a Win 2008 R2 with SQL 2008 R2 server that never had any printer drivers installed.

- Dan

Thank you, Dan
    • Proposed as answer by JediSQL Friday, January 13, 2012 12:24 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by JediSQL Friday, January 13, 2012 12:25 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Naomi N Friday, January 13, 2012 4:16 AM
    Friday, January 6, 2012 9:03 PM
  • Since Tatworth's Connect for SQL Server ticket is tied to SQL 2005, I created a copy tied to SQL 2012 hoping that it might get more traction (I was able to reproduce with SSMS 2012 RC0).

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/718327/sql-2012-database-diagram-not-printing-correctly

If you have a Connect account for SQL Server, you can go and vote it up and mark that you can reproduce it.

Thank you, Dan
    Friday, January 13, 2012 12:28 AM
  • Since the SQL Development team in Microsoft have been unable to reproduce this problem, it is incumbent on everybody who encounters this problem to report it.

It is significant that it occurs with the XPS document writer.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 12:55 PM
  • It would be useful if Microsoft were to provide a FAX number to which examples could be sent.
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 8:09 PM
  • You can post images in forum threads.

Use the Insert/Edit Image () icon.

Kalman Toth, SQL Server & Business Intelligence Training; SQL SERVER GRAND SLAM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 12:39 AM
    Answerer
  • You can post images in forum threads.

Use the Insert/Edit Image () icon.

`I agree that you could, however these images are more than likely:

1) A4 size

2) Of company confidential designs and thus could not be posted to a publicly viewable page.

Monday, January 16, 2012 7:27 AM
  • Why paper size matters?  How about a digital photo?

Confidentiality is a tough issue. In some cases sensitive text can be inked out prior to taking the digital photo.

Monday, January 16, 2012 9:16 AM
    Answerer
  • There is no diagram I can print that does not have the problem.  Just make up a dummy diagram in a dummy database.  Then print it and post it.

Thank you, Dan
    • Edited by JediSQL Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:21 AM
    • Proposed as answer by MSDNRocksMyWorld Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:09 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by MSDNRocksMyWorld Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:09 PM
    • Proposed as answer by MSDNRocksMyWorld Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:10 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by MSDNRocksMyWorld Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:10 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:17 AM
  • That is what I see while on the various sites of my clients.
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:27 PM
  • I've been battling this same issue since SQL 2005 and waiting for it to be resolved with each new version.   Today, I finally narrowed it down, a little.   

I run Windows with a "Classic" theme similar to Windows 2000 Pro.   In XP I use "Windows Classic", in Win7 I use Classic Shell.    The classic theme appears to be effecting the rendering of the image being printed.   

I've been able to repro this in XP and Win 7.   On XP using the theme "Windows Classic", I have the printing problem, using the theme "Windows XP", I don't have the problem.   On Win 7 using my Classic Shell theme, that looks the same as Windows Classic in XP, I have the problem, switching to the theme "Windows 7", I don't have the problem.

I'm wondering if others encountering this issue are also using the Classic theme ?  If so, perhaps someone could come up with a simple patch that allows us to continue to use the Classic theme and get a normal rendering of the print job ?

Thanks,

Don

• Proposed as answer by JediSQL Friday, January 27, 2012 5:07 PM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:30 PM
  • Friday, January 27, 2012 3:51 AM
    Answerer
  • Copy to paint should work. I copy the image to Word and print from Word.
    Friday, January 27, 2012 11:25 AM
  • I switched my Windows XP computer from Classic theme to Windows XP them, and it now prints diagrams OK.  The servers I was printing from default to the classic theme.

Yea, Don!

Dan Jameson Manager SQL Server DBA CureSearch for Children's Cancer http://www.CureSearch.org
    Friday, January 27, 2012 5:13 PM
  • So far we have a number of quite good work-arounds but no answer to this problem. The observation that that the Windows theme is important and may explain why Microsoft has failed to reproduce it so far. This is a very real problem which I have seen at a number of client sites.
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 11:22 AM