none
barcode Scanner / 'C' System Implementation advice .. how to go about this??? RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry to have to post this guys and I believe this is the right group to target. Any help would be absolutely fantastic and obviously very much appreciated.....

I would say I am a beginner and have learnt from asp.net c sharp and SQL books. I have got to a stage where things make sense and like many of you will know it is pretty good place to be. Obviously I still have a long way to go hence I have thrown myself into a project which will I guess test many core technology.

Basically I am going to start work on a business system which logs information at each stage of a production process. The item gets picked up and ideally scanned in as it should already have a barcode (act as a primary id). When it gets to the premises it is booked in and then goes through each process of modification or testing (refurbishment) and then sent out again to a new origin when it is sold.

Ideally I want to use ASP.NET, C sharp and obviously SQL. Could you guys possibly give me some advice as to what areas of additional technology I should look into to implement it if there is anything? I trust barcode readers are universal and just plug the serial onto an excel spreadsheet which I could import into SQL database.

I read about things like Workflows, MVC's LINQ an WPF etc etc or is this not the way forward. I have a logical idea of how this thing should work but unclear as to what is out there if you see where I'm coming from.

I guess this would come under a information process system banner?

I like the idea of running Sharepoint alongside this system but that comes later.

Any help will be awesome. Where to start? Just hope I haven't screwed myself!

Cheers for reading everyone
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 2:42 PM

All replies

• I think that you might need to go to the "Ramp up" section of the microsoft site, there you will get answers to some of your questions.

With regard to your question, you asked about barcode scanning, from memory the driver converts the barcode into some sort of textual code, that you can then use.

You need to figure out what your application is meant to do, come up with a design, then find the technology to implement it, not the other way around.

My advice would be to use C#, layered solution, SQL and stored procedures, and ASP.NET.  I would try to implement using an MVC implementation, and do it yourself so that you fully understand it, before trying to use the MS MVC implementation.

I see no reason what anything that you have said that you would want or need WFP, WWF, MVC or LINQ, sure you could use it, but I suspect that you need to get the basics right before getting into those areas.

Hope this helps,

Martin.

MCSD, MCTS, MCPD. Please mark my post as helpful if you find the information good!
    Monday, August 3, 2009 4:00 AM
  • Sorry to have to post this guys and I believe this is the right group to target. Any help would be absolutely fantastic and obviously very much appreciated.....

I would say I am a beginner and have learnt from asp.net c sharp and SQL books. I have got to a stage where things make sense and like many of you will know it is pretty good place to be. Obviously I still have a long way to go hence I have thrown myself into a project which will I guess test many core technology.

Basically I am going to start work on a business system which logs information at each stage of a production process. The item gets picked up and ideally scanned in as it should already have a barcode (act as a primary id). When it gets to the premises it is booked in and then goes through each process of modification or testing (refurbishment) and then sent out again to a new origin when it is sold.

Ideally I want to use ASP.NET, C sharp and obviously SQL. Could you guys possibly give me some advice as to what areas of additional technology I should look into to implement it if there is anything? I trust barcode readers are universal and just plug the serial onto an excel spreadsheet which I could import into SQL database.

I read about things like Workflows, MVC's LINQ an WPF etc etc or is this not the way forward. I have a logical idea of how this thing should work but unclear as to what is out there if you see where I'm coming from.

I guess this would come under a information process system banner?

I like the idea of running Sharepoint alongside this system but that comes later.

Any help will be awesome. Where to start? Just hope I haven't screwed myself!

Cheers for reading everyone

For this application , things are quite straight forward and the core ASP.NET framework is sufficient enough to take care, also one thing i would suggest to use the Data access layer with the DB if at all you want to make it more loosely coupled. Rest is the question of MVC, WPF etc , you might think of using something like Silverlight to enhance the client experience.

Thanks
    MCP
    Friday, August 7, 2009 4:58 PM
  • I am sure it is a waist of time trying to reinvent a bike from scratch.
    Go to the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inventory_control_system and you'll find a lot of systems ready to go for different price and size.
    Sure there are a lot of open-source systems too and you can just tune up the code.
    Leonid Ganeline [BizTalk MVP] My BizTalk blog
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 9:41 PM