none
Microsoft.Netframework 2 & 3 RRS feed

• Question

• Do i need Microsoft.NetFramework 2.0 Service Pack 2, and Microsoft. NetFramework 3.0 Service Pack 2 both installed on my PC? I read previous posting which says that Netframework 3.0 is an extension of 2.0 + ............ As a result i was inclined to remove Netframework 2.0 but it wont let me. Please help!!
    Friday, June 4, 2010 4:53 AM

Answers

• Hi,

.NET 3.0 is an "extension" - what that means is that it's on top of 2.0. I would suggest you installed the latest .NET 3.5 and then whatever updates are offered to you through Windows Update. You should not need to uninstall anything for this to work.

Also, this forum is for XML and its isage in .NET Framework, not about the .NET Framework in general. I will move your question to the right forum.

Thanks,

Vitek Karas [MSFT]
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, June 11, 2010 3:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, June 14, 2010 3:28 AM
    Friday, June 4, 2010 8:47 AM
  • Hi Oremso,

Thank you for your post.

Referring to the existing of any the versions of the .NET Framework, it depends on the applications and OS that are ran on your PC.

For applications, if you have some application based on .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 or 3.0 SP2 on your PC, you need to install .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 or .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 to support the application.
    If you have .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 installed on your machine and you want to remove .NET Framework 2.0, you should remove .NET Framework 3.0 >> 2.0 in order.

For OS, here is a useful blog that shows what version of .NET Framework is included in what version of OS. See: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/14/mailbag-what-version-of-the-net-framework-is-included-in-what-version-of-the-os.aspx. If .NET Framework 2.0 or 3.0 is shipped as OS component, this means that we cannot remove it.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, June 7, 2010 12:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

.NET 3.0 is an "extension" - what that means is that it's on top of 2.0. I would suggest you installed the latest .NET 3.5 and then whatever updates are offered to you through Windows Update. You should not need to uninstall anything for this to work.

Also, this forum is for XML and its isage in .NET Framework, not about the .NET Framework in general. I will move your question to the right forum.

Thanks,

Vitek Karas [MSFT]
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, June 14, 2010 3:28 AM
    Friday, June 4, 2010 8:47 AM
  • Hi Oremso,

Thank you for your post.

Referring to the existing of any the versions of the .NET Framework, it depends on the applications and OS that are ran on your PC.

For applications, if you have some application based on .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 or 3.0 SP2 on your PC, you need to install .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 or .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 to support the application.
    If you have .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 installed on your machine and you want to remove .NET Framework 2.0, you should remove .NET Framework 3.0 >> 2.0 in order.

For OS, here is a useful blog that shows what version of .NET Framework is included in what version of OS. See: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/14/mailbag-what-version-of-the-net-framework-is-included-in-what-version-of-the-os.aspx. If .NET Framework 2.0 or 3.0 is shipped as OS component, this means that we cannot remove it.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, June 7, 2010 12:26 PM