How to open a form when the template no longer exists RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a problem opening some forms that were based on a template that no longer exists. Saying it no longer exists isn't entirely accurate though. Only the template name and ID have changed. We used to have different templates that used the same ID and we kept having problems of conflicts. This is why I had to change the template ID.

Anyway, I tried editing one of the forms that won't open using Notepad++. What I did is that I updated both the href tag and the ID of the form template used in the code of this form. I was fairly certain this would work but it doesn't. Am I doing something wrong or is it just not possible?

Thanks very much for your help!

Benjamin

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 9:54 AM

Answers

• I would have thought that editing those value would have worked unless the schema has changed a lot too, there may be some others needed though. Have you tried comparing to a working form created the 'new' template ? There's a few XML Diff tools available that may help spot some hard to notice difference.
    • Marked as answer by David HM Thursday, June 9, 2011 1:35 AM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 10:59 AM

All replies

• I would have thought that editing those value would have worked unless the schema has changed a lot too, there may be some others needed though. Have you tried comparing to a working form created the 'new' template ? There's a few XML Diff tools available that may help spot some hard to notice difference.
    • Marked as answer by David HM Thursday, June 9, 2011 1:35 AM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 10:59 AM
  • Have you nhot tried to re-link those forms?
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 4:27 AM