Display and maintain Revision History in Infopath form RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a requirement that when ever a form is modified then i have to gather/collect information and maintain in a table format like Revision History and it should be readonly.

My client says that, the form can me modified as many times no limit (say may be >10, >20, ...)

The Revision History Table should have the following fields.
    1) Revision Version,
    2) Revision Date,
    3) Revised by and
    4) Description of revisions

for the above requirement i have taken Repeating Table and did the below things

1) Revision Version = increasing the number
    2) Revision Date = for this iam taking using the Today() function
    3) Revisied by = iam using UserName() function
    The above three fields are generating automatically.
    4) Description of revisions = i have used a rich text box here, so when ever user did any modification in form and befor submitting data he has to fill this field.

Questions:

1) Can i add a new row every time with the above data when the form is modified?
    2) Can this be possible with out code?
    3) Can this be achieved by using Rules? if yes then please give me solution.
    4) If this can be achieved using coding the i want to do this in VBScript as my client ask to use this Script. How can i do/achieve this using VBScript as iam not aware of vbscript.

Please help me on this..

Thanks in Advance to ALL...............

Mohammed
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, June 3, 2011 6:29 AM InfoPath q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Friday, June 3, 2011 6:10 AM

Answers

• Hi Mohammed, I don't fully understand your question.... Since the user is entering the description data, aren't they entering it directly in the repeating table in the form?  (you're just pre-populating the revisionVersion, RevisionDate, and revisedBy for them, right)?  Or are they entering it somewhere else in the form and you're populating this repeating table in the background (not visible to the end user)?
    • Marked as answer by David HM Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:21 AM
    Monday, June 6, 2011 12:40 PM

All replies

• Why post an InfoPath question to the General forum ?

Moving to the InfoPath forum it should have been sent to in the first place.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Friday, June 3, 2011 6:29 AM
  • Hi Mohammed,

Yes, you can add new rules.  What you don't want to do is use default values for the today(), userName(), etc.  If you put these in as default values it will update every time the form is opened.  That's exactly what you don't want.

What you do want is to add these values to a new row.  So, for the initial form creation, let's say your repeating table starts with just 1 row.  Use On-Open rule with a condition of if repeating table field is blank, set the values with the functions you described. 

Then, in your repeating table you can add rules for when a new row is added.  This is where you would set the values with the functions you desribed for the new row only.

I hope that makes sense, let me know if you need clarification.

Friday, June 3, 2011 6:29 PM
  • Hi Melli,

Thanks for your Kind response, as i said my revision table have below columns and per your suggestion i can achieve Revision Version, Revision Date ,Revisied by but what about Description of Version.

The Revision History Table should have the following fields.
    1) Revision Version,
    2) Revision Date,
    3) Revised by and
    4) Description of revisions

The Description of Version value/Data will be entered by user in a rich text box and up on submit i have to place this data in repeating table. please see below the example

RevisionVersion    RevisionDate        Revisedby         Description of revisions
    ============================================================
         1.0                 06/01/2011          Mohammed       Modified Project Nme
         2.0                 06/02/2011          Peter                XYZ
         3.0                 06/06/2011          Melli                 Description Modified

Melli, can you please help me on setting rules for entering/placing the description data in a right place with respective to the row.

Mohammed
    Monday, June 6, 2011 6:51 AM
  • Hi Mohammed, I don't fully understand your question.... Since the user is entering the description data, aren't they entering it directly in the repeating table in the form?  (you're just pre-populating the revisionVersion, RevisionDate, and revisedBy for them, right)?  Or are they entering it somewhere else in the form and you're populating this repeating table in the background (not visible to the end user)?
    • Marked as answer by David HM Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:21 AM
    Monday, June 6, 2011 12:40 PM