Why (windows developer preview 64 it) prevents the instaLlation of Kaspersky ..?

Question

• Why (windows developer preview 64 it) prevents the installation of Kaspersky INTERNET SECURITY 2012  ..?

please need answer ..

• Edited by TravelBird Friday, November 18, 2011 10:56 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 10:53 PM

Answers

• Maybe it is incompatible? Wait for the Win8 Beta and a compatible Kaspersky version.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Marked as answer by TravelBird Friday, November 18, 2011 11:36 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 10:54 PM

All replies

• Maybe it is incompatible? Wait for the Win8 Beta and a compatible Kaspersky version.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Marked as answer by TravelBird Friday, November 18, 2011 11:36 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 10:54 PM
  • the strange thing ..

windows 8 prevents all the versions of Kaspersky ..

thank you Andre ..

Friday, November 18, 2011 11:26 PM
  • It is the other way around. Kaspersky does not list Windows 8 as a supported platform. Given the amount of work to support a new OS, you need to be patient. 

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 5:19 PM
  • Almost all developers will not bring out compatible versions of their software until the general release of W8. I think this was the case with Kaspersky and W7 when that was released. Norton did not bring out a compatible 'Ghost' for several months after release.

A developer needs to be sure there are not going to be any further revisions of the OS. 

Saturday, November 19, 2011 9:10 PM
  • Hi, are you sure, it is the operating system which prevents the installation?

I am more than sure that this is the custom action in the MSI file of the Kaspersky Internet Security setup distribution that checks for OS version and prohibits setup on a non-supported (officially) version of the operating system. I've heard here and there, ppl were able to successfully install Kaspersky on their Windows Developer Preview in both flavors and had it up and running.

What you may try to do is to alter the MSI database.

Please consider these steps only as a temporary measure! I am more than sure, you will lose your support by doing that. Installing software on a non-supported OS may result in serious unexpected problems especially when dealing with low-level interceptions.

1. Run the Kaspersky setup.

2. When you get an error message that setup cannot be proceed because your OS is not supported, click in the error message and press Ctrl+C to copy the message text, or just write it down on a paper. You will need this text when dropping the MSI database records. 

3. Download the SuperOrca MSI Editor or use Microsoft Orca to edit the MSI file.

4. Open the Kaspersky MSI in the SuperOrca and press Ctrl+F.

5. Type in to the search window the text from the error message you've copied in the step 2.

6. When the text is found, write down the name of the custom action displayed next to the error message. Find every custom action referring to the incompatibility error message.

7. Press Ctrl+F and locate all desired custom actions.

8. With every found custom action, right-click the action (the row in the database) and choose Drop the row.

9. When all the actions are dropped, save the MSI file with a new name, close the MSI Editor.

10. Remove the obsolete original MSI (or, better, add the .bak postfix) and replace it with the new edited one.

Now you setup should proceed normally.

Still I recommend you wait for some time. As far as I remember, Kaspersky were the first in the industry to support Windows 7 in their drivers.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    • Proposed as answer by Exotic Hadron Sunday, November 20, 2011 8:53 AM
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 8:53 AM
  • where i can find Kaspersky MSI ?

i didn't find it in ProgramData ...
    Monday, November 21, 2011 10:35 PM
  • As it usually comes so with setup distributions, Kaspersky setup EXEs extract their contents to %temp% temporary folder once you run them.

1. Run the KIS setup EXE and DO NOT CLOSE it.

2. Press WindowsKey + R and type %temp% then hit Enter.

3. When in the temporary folder, sort your folder by Date and pick the most recent one.

4. Open the recent folder. This folder should store setup.exe, kavkis.msi and other complementary files.

5. Copy all the content of this folder to another folder.

6. Close the setup wizard; temporary folder will now be automatically removed.

Hope it helps.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 6:50 AM