How do I get my HP Pavilion G4 1104dx screen to actually turn up the brightness?

Question

• My laptop, HP Pavilion G4 1104dx, set the screen so every time I log in I have the darkest screen possible the view is truly their but the brightness is just completely turn down. How do I turn up the brightness on my HP Pavilion G4 1104dx, I am open to all kinds of suggestions I have not really tried anything but going through the two ways and F.Y.I.: the monitor has to run through Intel(R) HD Graphics Family something or other, it is currently set to: Intel(R) HD Graphic Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.2).
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:24 AM

All replies

• Go to control panel and power option and then chose the current power plan and go to setting and change the level of brightness for both battery and AC adaptor to the level that you want.

Also update Windows and install all updates.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:23 AM
  • Just tried both of those in the past week even reinstalled the developer preview...STILL NOTHING kind of pissing me off...

Friday, October 21, 2011 1:59 AM
  • I would download the latest Windows 7 drivers for your HP Pavilion G41104dx to see if that helps.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00042629&tmp_track_link=ot_faqs/top_issues/en_us/c00042629/loc:2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4063&product=5128880&sw_lang=

You can also verify if you have the latest BIOS for your system from the link above.

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can e solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Friday, October 21, 2011 2:35 AM
  • Just add that, if you want to update CMOS or BIOS, make sure you take a full back up of your system and data before doing that, in case that something went wrong you could recover everything. Also, take a look at release note and installation guidance before doing that.
    Friday, October 21, 2011 4:18 AM
  • It seems to be that the Intel HD Graphic Driver isn't already installed correctly when first install through the developer preview. I tried several different others and nothing happened until I finished install the "Intel Installtion Framework" aka the Intel HD Graphics Driver, I have not restarted the computer yet but I just thought I should post this out here before I restart. (wish me luck if it does mess up again..)
    Friday, October 21, 2011 4:27 AM
  • Well seems like that was only a temporary fix. My screen went back to having the brightness at zero as soon as it booted back up.
    Friday, October 21, 2011 4:31 AM
  • Even the BIOS update seems to have done nothing. Just a thought here but I think the Windows Developer Preview is reverting the monitor changes back to the original settings.
    Friday, October 21, 2011 4:40 AM
  • Did Microsoft make it so Windows 8 would revert original changes if a .dll file got changed?

Friday, October 21, 2011 4:42 PM
  • Hey Pdx1amb,

If you haven't already tried using the compatibility troubleshooter to install the Intel Installation Framework you can do this by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section
    • Select Search
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for the driver. You will likely want to choose the choice for This program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now when it is given if the latest driver is only applicable to a different version of Windows.

Then try restarting your computer to see if the brightness settings are retained.

Steven
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:00 AM
  • Hello pdx1amb,

There was a Service in Windows 7 called Adaptive Brightness servivce.
    The description is: Monitors ambient light sensors to detect changes in ambient light and adjust the display brightness.  If this service is stopped or disabled, the display brightness will not adapt to lighting conditions.

I do not see this service in my Windows Developer Preview system.
    You might check on your Services.msc to see if you have this service enabled.
    Marilyn
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 12:01 AM
  • I uninstalled Windows 8 since 10/23, I think, and I just reinstalled windows 8 again today. I started by installing my HD Graphics driver, the driver works and my screen is on. So far now my problem is that I can't turn down the screen brightness, is it me or does it seem like a developer preview has a lot more issues then a beta?..
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 12:58 AM
  • >is it me or does it seem like a developer preview has a lot more issues then a beta?..

Of course it does, the developers preview on Windows 8 is an early
    build -- before beta level...

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 1:21 AM