xml source + infopath RRS feed

• Question

• https://sharepoint.gg.gg.uk/test1/test/_vti_bin/owssvr.dll?Cmd=Display&List={025554AC-15A2-4BC0-AEE5-47C3FBE857F5}&XMLDATA=TRUE&noredirect=true

I have created a data connection from infopath to Sharepoint list. The sharepoint list is accessed as xml in infopath document through url

http://{0}/_vti_bin/owssvr.dll?Cmd=Display&List={1}&XMLDATA=TRUE
    {0} – The URL to your site.  This could be the root web or a child site.
    {1} – The GUID for your list. 

now when i create a connection and bind to dropdown list in infopath . All data is shown fine when list is opnened in infopath document.
    But when i try to open in browser i get error/

one of the Setting while u bind the list to dropdown list are below

1. include data as resource file ---> this works fine
    2. Access data from specified location ---> gives error

option 1 and 2 here are the connection setting to xml file.
    option 1 creates a cache and does not fetch a live data from sharepoint list.
    option 2 fetches data from list online through url

option 2 fails...

An error occurred accessing a data source.
    An entry has been added to the Windows event log of the server.

Log ID:5566

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 9:52 AM

All replies

• Yeah, this is probably due to the LoopBackCheck issue on Windows Server 2008/R2 or a Kerberos issue if you have multiple WFEs.  The key information you're missing here is the full error details in the ULS logs.  The error you showed us is only what you see in the browser.  The full details are in the ULS logs on the server, and they will tell you why the request was denied.  It's most likely one of the two issues I mentioned, because the WFE itself is making the data call to the URL you gave it, and it cannot retrieve the data currently.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 3:18 AM
  • I have asked admin for log file as i dont have access to server.

I made a search on LoopBackCheck issue on Windows Server 2008/R2..what is best to resolve it with minimum changes on server

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:41 PM
  • I have asked admin for log file as i dont have access to server.

I made a search on LoopBackCheck issue on Windows Server 2008/R2..what is best to resolve it with minimum changes on server

The change can only be made on the server, and there are serious security implications.  If you don't have access to the server, then you won't be able to do this either.  Do you not have a SharePoint Architect or Farm Admin who is responsible for the entire implementation?  It is that person who you should be talking to when building solutions like this.  You can't build in a vaccuum without working with the SharePoint team who runs everything.  They are the ones who should be troubleshooting and resolving your issue - did you start with them before asking on the forums?  That is my suggestion for this and all future issues.

Anyway, your SharePoint ARchitect has to already know of this problem - it is pretty much unavoidable in most SharePoint implementations, so that person should already know what to do. 

DisableLoopbackCheck & SharePoint: What every admin and developer ...

• Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:24 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Rahul A Mehta Tuesday, June 14, 2011 2:29 PM
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 2:26 AM
  • it work for few days and unpredictably starts giving error.

I have not tried solution you have given regarding server setting. I though first i will show you log lines

find log below

06/14/2011 14:57:11.49  w3wp.exe (0x2674)                        0x218C Forms Server                   Forms Services Runtime - Data C 82fy Warning  The following query failed: CourseTitle (User: IC\rlisk, Form Name: Post_Training_Eval_Form, IP: , Request: https://sharepoint.test.uk/_layouts/FormServer.aspx?XsnLocation=https://sharepoint.test.uk/FormServerTemplates/Post_Training_Eval_Form.xsn&SaveLocation=https://sharepoint.tezt/staff/Post_Training_Evaluation_Form&Source=https://sharepoint.test/staff/Post_Training_Evaluation_Form/Forms/AllItems.aspx&DefaultItemOpen=1, Form ID: urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:infopath:Post-Training-Eval-Form:-myXSD-2005-10-21T21-12-27, Type: DataAdapterException,

Exception Message: The form cannot run the specified query. The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.) 70d0de99-151a-4025-9135-f6094ca47f9b

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 2:31 PM
  • That's an authentication error (401) that is usually related to Kerberos and will often happen if you haven't addressed the LoopBackCheck issue.  There is no reason to continue without addressing this issue, in my opinion.

• Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:14 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Leoyi Sun Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:15 AM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:10 AM
  • Well, I mentioned both issues to you.  I said it's either a LoopBackCheck issue or a Kerberos issue.  The first article you mentioned is for LoopBackCheck.  The 2nd article is because of Kerberos, and I guess the author didn't know this.  You never mentioned having load balanced WFEs, so I haven't instructed you on that basis.

If you have load balanced WFEs, then BOTH issues will arise, because if the load balancer sends you back to the same server, it will fail due to LoopBackCheck.  If it gets sent to a separate WFE, then you have a double-hop of authentication, which requires Kerberos.  Both of these issues are the responsibility of your SharePoint architect.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 4:42 AM
  • this the reponse i got from admin... 

1.       We definitely don’t need to do the first step as our load balancer doesn’t work like the example on the page. If you make a request to sharepoint the Load Balancer will always take you back to the same WFE. It won’t send you off to one of the others as in the example.

2.       We can’t disable loop back as that will break search.

Can you please guide. 

Also I was reading I relealize it will reduce security and increase threats.. "The security is reduced when you disable the authentication loopback check, and you open the Windows Server 2003 server for man-in-the-middle (MITM) attacks on NTLM."

So How do we procceed.

Incase no other way..Please tell a ulternate way..( its a infopath form with few input text boxes and has a dropdownlist which comes from other list (currently from xml))

Please guide

Thursday, June 16, 2011 9:43 AM
  • Am I on wrong way!! As my DBA is not ready to remove authorisation...how do i proceed...

Please let me know any option to edit list and updated in infopath dropdown!!

So rather than xml i binded the List and try to see the sorted result. When I bind List I dont get the error which I get in Xml But List is not sorted.

Infopath should be  opened in browser (in sorted order).. I tried below it does not sort in browser mode

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointinfopath/thread/4f739cec-220e-4ab2-a6d9-13079e43844a/

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:59 PM