none
How to install PIAs 2010 in VS 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• When the Bootstrapper executes, half way through it exits with out any warning or showing any error messages. I searched my system for any installed interop assemblies. Microsoft.office.interop.outlook.dll is installed as part of a software. Is it the componentcheck.exe that causes the termination of the Bootstrapper due to the presence of the installed Outlook interop assembly. if yes how can I install the balance interop assemblies. Actually I don't want to uninstall that software containing the PIA  because to reinstall, installation CD is not with me! Can anybody Help me..
    Tuesday, December 10, 2013 12:35 PM

Answers

• Hi B.Thomas

Office 2010 Starter edition? That edition of Office has no automation interface, it runs in a "sandboxed" environement - which is also the reason you can't find the *.exe, and why there are no PIAs exposed.

For developmental purposes you need to have a "full" version of Office.

I *think* there is (was?) a way to upgrade the Starter edition to a full edition via the Internet, but I've been out of end-user support for ten years so I don't remember the details. You can try asking at:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/word

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Marked as answer by B.Thomas67 Friday, December 13, 2013 11:06 AM
    Friday, December 13, 2013 9:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The forum supports VS Setup and Installation. Your issue isn't related to the forum.

I will move it to the related forum for better support.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 6:00 AM
  • Hello B.Thomas67,

What bootstrapper are you talking about? What program are you trying to install?

Anyway, you can download the Microsoft Office 2010: Primary Interop Assemblies Redistributable from the Microsoft Download center.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 4:59 PM
  • Hi Eugene,

I think the bootstrapper means the Microsoft Office 2010 Primary Interop Assemblies Bootstrapper Package. It's different from the PIA package.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 7:27 AM
  • Hi chunchencool,

If so, why do you need to install PIAs on a PC with Visual Studio 2010 installed?

Thursday, December 12, 2013 1:42 PM
  • Hi  Eugene & Chunchencool

Yes I was trying to install  Microsoft office 2010 Primary Interop Assemblies.

I downloaded PIARedist.exe and Installed it. During installation it showed "Gathering Required Information", then installation was terminated - I didn't find any confirmation saying installation is complete and successful.

I checked the  \Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages directory.

I didn't find any interop dlls. I didn't find any Inerop.dll in the add Reference dialogue box's .net tab

I downloaded the Bootstrapper package as suggested by Chunchen. I got the same result - at the same point the program terminated.

What to do now, How can I install the Primary interop assemblies?

Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:52 PM
  • The PIA installation packages require that the Office applications be installed on the target machine. But if Office is installed on the target machine, by default the PIAs would have been installed, as well.

Is Office 2010 installed on the machine?

Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:13 PM
  • Hi Cindy Meister,

Yes MS Office Starter 2010 (Word & Excel) is installed on the m/c. As you asked this question I checked my system, In the start Button "Microsoft Excel starter 2010" Points to the following file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\Virtualization Handler\CVH.EXE" "Microsoft Excel Starter 2010 9014006604090000" & "Microsoft Word starter 2010" Points to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\Virtualization Handler\CVH.EXE" "Microsoft Word Starter 2010 9014006604090000" I searched for the files Excel.exe & Word.exe I could not find it. I don't Know where is it installed, I got it preinstalled in the Sony Vaio Laptop when I purchased it. All the original software that came with the m/c is kept in some partition of the HDD which is not directly accessible,that area can be accessed with the Sony Vaio Care software, I searched in that area as much as possible I could not find any details. But I think option is there to convert the word & excel to a portable one ie it can be transferred to a pen drive & can be used on any m/c, I didn't do that to ensure the presence of PIAs

Now what should I do to install the PIAs?

Friday, December 13, 2013 9:14 AM
  • Hi B.Thomas

Office 2010 Starter edition? That edition of Office has no automation interface, it runs in a "sandboxed" environement - which is also the reason you can't find the *.exe, and why there are no PIAs exposed.

For developmental purposes you need to have a "full" version of Office.

I *think* there is (was?) a way to upgrade the Starter edition to a full edition via the Internet, but I've been out of end-user support for ten years so I don't remember the details. You can try asking at:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/word

• Marked as answer by B.Thomas67 Friday, December 13, 2013 11:06 AM
    Friday, December 13, 2013 9:39 AM