none
Service Pack for DotNetFX.exe (1.1) RRS feed

• Question

• I have several departments with some legacy .Net apps that require version 1.1. I have installed the .Net 1.1 redistributable package. Do I need to apply the .Net SP1?

Thank you

Thursday, December 1, 2011 2:43 PM

Answers

• In general, applying Service Packs is recommended. Applying them routinely keeps you up to date on security patches, etc.

In your case, I think the key question is: Are any of the 1.1 apps experiencing issues that might be cured by applying SP1? Even if there are no current issues, there still could be future issues if these apps are being maintained and updated (i.e. a future change could use a .NET feature that needs SP1).

If it's feasible, I'd suggest applying SP1 on a test machine and running all the 1.1 apps on that machine before pushing SP1 out live.

• Proposed as answer by Alexander Sun Friday, December 2, 2011 6:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:16 AM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 4:22 PM
  • Hi SQLYaboh,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

In addition to security improvement, .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 fix many bugs in .NET Framework 1.1. For more information, you can refer to this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/867460

Thus, I also recommend you upgrade to Service Pack 1 on your test machine.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Friday, December 2, 2011 6:26 AM

All replies

• In general, applying Service Packs is recommended. Applying them routinely keeps you up to date on security patches, etc.

In your case, I think the key question is: Are any of the 1.1 apps experiencing issues that might be cured by applying SP1? Even if there are no current issues, there still could be future issues if these apps are being maintained and updated (i.e. a future change could use a .NET feature that needs SP1).

If it's feasible, I'd suggest applying SP1 on a test machine and running all the 1.1 apps on that machine before pushing SP1 out live.

• Proposed as answer by Alexander Sun Friday, December 2, 2011 6:26 AM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 4:22 PM
  • Hi SQLYaboh,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

In addition to security improvement, .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 fix many bugs in .NET Framework 1.1. For more information, you can refer to this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/867460

Thus, I also recommend you upgrade to Service Pack 1 on your test machine.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Friday, December 2, 2011 6:26 AM