none
Using AppVerifier with a Service RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm trying to use AppVerifier on a Windows Service.

I've installed AppVerifier.

I'm debugging my service using NTSD (as follows:  I'm starting the service using the Services tool, I'm using TaskManager to get the process ID, then I'm launching ntsd with the following command line:

ntsd -g -G -x -p <myprocessid>

It opens a new CMD window, puts a bunch of DLL loading information in there.  I *do not* have the Windows Server 2008 debugging symbols -- does that matter?  It's definitely attached to my process -- I can see my dependencies, and if I start ntsd without the -g argument, it breaks at this point.

I then start AppVerifier (using Run As Administrator or not, doesn't seem to matter).

Under the File menu, I select Add Application and browse to and select my executable ("MyService.exe"  I select my tests, and click Save.

I get a message:  The tests that you have selected for  [MyServices.exe] require a debugger : http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx.

I click OK. 

Then, nothing happens.  App Verifier (I'm using 3.4.0158, by the way) never generates any logs.  I can run tests, I can do whatever I want, but it doesn't seem to generate any thing.  I can't tell if that means it isn't attaching to my executable because it thinks I'm debugging, or if it is choking because I don't have debugging symbols, or if it is running perfectly and finding no problems (the latter seems unlikely, because it's not generating any logs at all).

I appreciate any help/direction...

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 12:06 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Dan,

You will not generate any logs unless you go an unsupported route to get there. The application will either crash or hang if you do not have a debugger attached.

You will have more symbols to help you debug if you download the public Windows symbols from the above debug website. (You may have access to CTP or RC1 specific debug symbols.)

When attaching your Service (myservice.exe), also attach svchost.exe with all tests from AppVerifier that you are running against your Service.

When you run the AppVerifier tests that require a debugger, logs will not be generated. Hitting critical stops will break directly into debugger instead.

At this point run any CVTs and functionality that fully exercises your Service. When you feel the Service has been exercised and you have not broken into the debugger, you have satisfied this test case.

I suggest you write down these CVTs for the test vendor to follow during actual Certification Testing.

-Paul

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 1:21 AM

All replies

• Note: I get the same behavior if I'm running WinDBG as well...

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 12:12 AM
  •  

Hi Dan,

You will not generate any logs unless you go an unsupported route to get there. The application will either crash or hang if you do not have a debugger attached.

You will have more symbols to help you debug if you download the public Windows symbols from the above debug website. (You may have access to CTP or RC1 specific debug symbols.)

When attaching your Service (myservice.exe), also attach svchost.exe with all tests from AppVerifier that you are running against your Service.

When you run the AppVerifier tests that require a debugger, logs will not be generated. Hitting critical stops will break directly into debugger instead.

At this point run any CVTs and functionality that fully exercises your Service. When you feel the Service has been exercised and you have not broken into the debugger, you have satisfied this test case.

I suggest you write down these CVTs for the test vendor to follow during actual Certification Testing.

-Paul

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 1:21 AM
  •  

Paul -

Thanks for the speedy reply!   And that's a great answer -- exactly what I hoped.

No worries--we've documented our CVTs.

Dan

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 1:27 AM