locked
Visual Studio 2013 bug? or should we not be attempting to convert existing projects to 2013 preview yet? RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi I just  converted a standard Visual Studio 2012 LightSwitch application to a VS 2012 update 3 version recently  using the upgrade process successfully.

    I then attempted to convert the same now working now VS2012 update 3 version to VS2013 Preview- not successfully. With no changes in code or the project in anyway other than the VS2013 conversion process, I have now got a couple of hundred errors on compilation ( none of which showed up on the conversion summary before I compiled it).

    As a typical example of one of a few hundred like it I have on  ServiceRequest_Created code -  the following line

    Me.RequestorID = Application.User.Name

    It says the RequestorID is not a member of the LightSwitchApplication.ServiceRequest. And it doesn't recognize Application.User.Name either.

    In fact almost anything starting with Me. is not recognized.

    If I create a new LightSwitch application from scratch in 2013, the use of Me or Application.User.Name is fully understood and no compile errors come up.

    Is there something in the architecturing of the latest version of LightSwitch in VS 2013 Preview that causes all of this code that has existed in previous versions of my application to not work without some new required tweaks?

    I reviewed references in both a from scratch 2013 application to references in my converted 2012 update 3 to 2013 and all the references that are in the 2013 scratch one are in the other one.

    Is my question making sense? Is this a buf or Am I jumping the gun on trying to see what the conversion process does on existing projects?

    Something painfully obvious might be causing all the these similar errors. But I am not sure what that is.

    Thanks for any insights anyone can give on this.

    Sunday, August 4, 2013 11:53 PM

Answers

  • Update

    Ok I think I answered my own question. I tried to convert a completely different VS 2012 update3 lightswitch project to VS 2013 preview and everything worked.

    So its something specific to the project. A closer inspection seems to indicate that one of my extension is crashing out in VS 2013 and all the rest of the errors have likely cascaded from that.

    So I will mark this submission as answered and closed

    • Marked as answer by lvsund Monday, August 5, 2013 8:13 PM
    Monday, August 5, 2013 8:13 PM

All replies

  • Update

    Ok I think I answered my own question. I tried to convert a completely different VS 2012 update3 lightswitch project to VS 2013 preview and everything worked.

    So its something specific to the project. A closer inspection seems to indicate that one of my extension is crashing out in VS 2013 and all the rest of the errors have likely cascaded from that.

    So I will mark this submission as answered and closed

    • Marked as answer by lvsund Monday, August 5, 2013 8:13 PM
    Monday, August 5, 2013 8:13 PM
  • Hi,

    I am very glad that you have solved your problem by yourself.

    If you have any other problem, welcome to post it in the Visual Studio LightSwitch Forums.

    Best Regards.


    Amy Peng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.


    Monday, August 12, 2013 1:02 AM
    Moderator
  • Thanks for the post. I found the same problem when converting a project with the Pixata controls.
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:31 PM