Migration of grant permissions from Oracle to SQL Server 2008R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in the process of migrating our Oracle 10g database to SQL Server 2008R2.  Data and schema migration is working well with SSMA 5.2 but the   grant permissions for tables are not migrating over.

Is there something I'm missing in SSMA to enable this?  Should this work by default?

If it isn't possible to do in SSMA, how do other users approach this problem?  

Let me know if what I'm asking about is unclear.

Thanks.

• Edited by quork Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:09 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:57 PM

Answers

• Hi quork,

The SQL Server security scheme is quite different from Oracle’s, we always choose not to automate the security item migration in SSMA. That way, you can consider all possibilities and make the proper decisions yourself. For migration of security item, such as table permissions, I think we need to transfer it manually.

Best Regards,
    Iric
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Iric Wen Monday, April 23, 2012 9:11 AM
    Friday, April 13, 2012 6:16 AM

All replies

• Hi quork,

The SQL Server security scheme is quite different from Oracle’s, we always choose not to automate the security item migration in SSMA. That way, you can consider all possibilities and make the proper decisions yourself. For migration of security item, such as table permissions, I think we need to transfer it manually.

Best Regards,
    Iric
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Iric Wen Monday, April 23, 2012 9:11 AM
    Friday, April 13, 2012 6:16 AM
  • Great, thanks for confirming.

Friday, April 13, 2012 12:09 PM